Good time to buy iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bossesjoe, Oct 21, 2007.

1. bossesjoe macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy an iPhone because it seems to be the best platform to be able to keep up with my email, but I was wondering if this is a good time in the product cycle to buy? Is there an update coming soon? I would only be concerned if it would add to the phone's internet capabilities, like a 3G update or GPS.

Thanks. :apple:

2. beeeen macrumors member

It's hard to tell. Some people think they will come out with a new phone as early as march 08'. I'm buying one within the next month and I was thinking the same thing. My guess is something will be announced in summer and released about a year from now. The iPhone isn't even six months old yet, and the international release is only weeks ago. They would be foolish to release a new one less than a year within the first year. Not to mention, they are releasing the SDK in february. My guess is they wanna see how that goes and how it works. Once they work out all the kinks/bugs for the 3rd party apps, they might move on with a new phone. They won't release the next phone without 3rd party apps. So, you should just go buy one. Worst thing that happens is that it is released in March 08 and you can always sell your first iphone. People will buy it.

3. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Yes.

For $400 and what it does, it is a steal.

There will be another iPhone sometime. Th next one might only go to 16 gigs and maybe 3g and GPS after that.

4. beeeen macrumors member

I think the only reason 3G isn't already on the phone is because there is limited 3G access in the US right now. But then of course, they could of still put the option on their, cause when it isn't on 3G it's on EDGE. So if you are in an area without wi-fi, but you have 3G it all works out. I also can't believe they didn't put on an AIM client + sms picture messaging. Silly.

5. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

the thing is that technology is always changing. You could buy a phone now and find new features in a new model months from now. The thing I do is I wait until the current tech is about to be replaced so it gets marked down and then I buy. It will be obsolete anyway as will the next one so why not save money? Then buy your next thing when that one is cheaper... And so on.

6. fazworld macrumors newbie

Yeah, technology is always changing so you'll always end up waiting for something newer over the horizon. Especially with Apple, they always have something waiting in the wings. According to Jobs, 2007 was supposed to be a blockbuster year with new and amazing new products, and of course he was right (especially since he knew what was coming). Don't know if he made such a statement for next year, but I think next year will be a year to solidify what is already out there (except for maybe a new ultra portable). So this is probably a good time to jump onto the bandwagon. Also, 3G is known for high battery use and although they would have loved putting it into v1 of the iPhone, they couldn't without adversely affecting battery life. And since technology is always improving, things could change in a year and 3G will be a reality soon.

7. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

In the US? it's definitely still a good time to buy one. If I didn't own I probably wouldn't start worrying about the question you pose until...... beyond March 2008. Anytime after that I would start to factor in the product life cycle question.

Of course this is all speculation

8. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

9. Geffen macrumors 6502

I'd say go ahead and buy an iPhone i also was going to wait however with the price drop to $400 back in sept i went ahead and bought one and i'm glad i did, you won't most likely see another iPhone until late 2008 since the UK's iPhone is being released in November.

10. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I finally picked one up a couple of days ago thinking that now was as good a time as ever, especially with the recent price drop. I doubt it will drop any lower either so just go for it...you won't be disappointed.:)