Good time to buy Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hunted, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Hunted macrumors newbie

Hunted

So i am going to college in a week and i was wondering if its a good time to buy
    Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina display- 13.3" 8GB, considering that a new version will be coming out in a few weeks if I'm not wrong? thanks.

2. Fthree macrumors 6502a

wouldn't hurt to wait but low probability of a upgrade

3. LuvMacs macrumors newbie

4. LuvMacs macrumors newbie

Before you buy, look at what is available in the Apple Refurb store. I picked up a March 2015 MacBook Pro (dual core i7, 16GB, 512 GB flash storage) for $1869 - a savings of about $400.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Or it could be March 2016 when its upgraded - if you have a dependable computer currently and are concerned about a possibly refresh then simply wait until its refreshed then purchase. Also consider the discount and headphones you receive if you purchase now.

6. Hunted thread starter macrumors newbie

Hunted

I heard of the news that there's a new model going to release in about a month or two so this is why i wanted to wait and see if the price would go down.

7. pjfan macrumors regular

Base price likely won't change. This is my pure speculation, but I hope to see apple raise base SSD to 256 on most current machines. If the rmb is any indication of what they're doing for their elite products, the 13" pro and iMac are due for a little storage love (retina iMac should start with fusion).

I would buy the 2015 refurb like LuvMac did and be ecstatic!

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well you pretty much heard wrong then, as of now there is no indication that the rMBP will be updated this year, in fact the latest release from intel puts the rMBP skylake chips set for an early 2016 release so not until then. This may of course change what with intels everchanging timelines but as of at the moment it is extremely unlikely.

9. larmende macrumors member

Doesnt Apple usually use their events to adjust prices in all markets?

Do we expect the rMBP to go up or down?

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No and they actively try to hit similar price points for new models wherever they can.

11. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

Personally, I'd hold out for Skylake as it brings many new features, particularly for laptops. Then again, you didn't say what you currently have or how often you have been and plan on upgrading. Some people tell sob stories about how their 2012 MBP isn't cutting it anymore. I have a hard time reading those on my 2007 MB. It's not that it's too old to display the characters. In almost any scenario, I'd wait, other than if you don't have a laptop at all.

12. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Do you NEED the computer before you go to college in a WEEK? If yes, then you don't have much time left.

13. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Best time to buy is a mix of when you need it and when you find a good bargain.
    That's it.

14. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

upgrades are usually October for iMac, March for Macbook Air.

the Pros it depends. Intel coming out with new chips so I'd def wait. Suppose to have better battery life and faster.

15. HighDesert50 macrumors member

You are aware that you will receive an educational discount at your college bookstore as well as any back-to-school deals. Consider, too, waiting until you attend your first classes to better determine your hardware and software needs; does your major/minor dictate software/hardware needs. Check on what your campus offers, if any, on free or heavily discounted software. And, remember the next best computer will always be a few months out.

16. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Haha all you have to do is say you are student or buying for a student and you are all set. The back to school special this year sucks and I believe already ended.

I have seen the base model for the 13 inch air for 750 at bestbuy if you are a student. Way better then Apples 50 bucks off

17. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

It's a good time to buy if you really one now. From what I read, new models of the 13 inch won't be out until sometime in 2016.

18. WalterSobchak macrumors newbie

WalterSobchak

There is always something better around the corner. That game never ends.

Will the next iteration be revolutionary, maybe. Will it make that much of a difference to you to not have your new computer for whatever amount of time that is. Only you can answer that.

I do know BB has 150 off the pro models right now, if you get the student discount on top of that its 250 off.

1050 for a new 13 retina pro. That's not bad.