Good time to buy refurb or clearance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by answer348, Oct 14, 2008.

1. answer348 macrumors member

I've been enjoying my 15" Powerbook G4 since summer of '04, but I'm finally feeling the urge to upgrade. The only complaint I've had with my Mac in the last 4 years is its inability to play games.

After following every detail of the new MBPs, I'm left rather unimpressed. Would now be a good time to consider buying one of the more recent MBPs from the clearance or refurb store? After doing some more research, I've realized that they should be perfectly capable of playing the games I'm interested in (MMOs, nothing like Crysis).

Should I wait until my current Powerbook finally bites the dust? Should I stick with my Powerbook and find a desktop solution to compliment it?

I feel a little silly replacing my powerbook when it does almost everything I need so well. If I buy a MBP, I no longer have any utility from this baby.

So many thoughts. Looking for some advice and inspiration.

2. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

If you wait too long then there won't be any "prior" generation models available for purchase. You'll have to decide when to jump in and that's gonna have to be sooner rather than later.

You only have a couple of months to make the decision. Good luck.

3. answer348 thread starter macrumors member

I've noticed that 17" MBPs only show up as refurbs, not on clearance. Would you expect them to end up on clearance when they provide a proper update to the 17" MBP?

4. stagemanagerav macrumors member

Your other option is to find someone selling elsewhere. Like me :)

I'm selling the model in my signature, PM me if you're interested.