Good time to buy the Ultrafine 5K?

bhenny1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
Hey all,

Recently picked up an old Cinema Display for home use and I’m feeling meh about it after using the Ultrafine 5K at work.

I want to get one for home, but because there was an online shortage earlier this month, do you think there’s a new model on the way? I know Apple’s apparently releasing something next year but it’ll likely be too expensive for me.

Would you recommend getting a 5K right now?

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
Woot has them on sale from time to time. I got a 4k for $185 + tax a while back and it was like new condition.

bhenny1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
Thanks! I’ll check them out.

Best Buy currently lists the monitor as sold out and Apple doesn’t have pick-up availability – isn’t that what usually happens before a new model comes out?

I’m fine with this model but I’d like to not pay $1,300...

bhenny1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
Personally, I prefer the Dell UltraSharp 32" or 27" 5K series, however, they are also fairly expensive. Take a look at them and see what you think....
It looks nice! However I can't find a price as it's sold out on Amazon & B&H, and there's no "where to buy" link on Dell's website that I can find.

I'm trying to talk myself into just continuing to use the Cinema for a little. See if there's any deals when Black Friday rolls around.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
It looks nice! However I can't find a price as it's sold out on Amazon & B&H, and there's no "where to buy" link on Dell's website that I can find.

I'm trying to talk myself into just continuing to use the Cinema for a little. See if there's any deals when Black Friday rolls around.
Still the best monitor out there IMO (outside the price and first year of issues they took so long to work through). If you could find one around $800, I'd say it's worth it. $1k is the top price that should be paid (since that was the going price almost 2 years ago when they first came out). And the current $1300 fee is obscene.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018

It seems since Dell used the same panel as the LG, it was discontinued too.