Good time to buy ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mvksagar45, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mvksagar45 macrumors member

Hello Guys,
    I am planning to buy a mac book pro, but i couldn't decide weather this is the right time to do so or not. i read many places , where many are saying there is a new version of macs coming soon. I am planning to get a 15 inch one. Does any 1 have any idea of when will the new one come out. The problem for me is my old laptop is lost and i need a new one soon. And will there be a very huge advancement in the 15 inch model ?

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

noone knows the answers to any of those questions. If I had to guess I would say the models will be updated in the next two months. How much will change is anyones guess. I would suggest if you need a laptop now but will be kicking yourself if a better one comes out two weeks later then get a used one you can resell if you want to buy the newest one

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Use the search! Mroogle. Tons of threads on this already.

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

if you really need a new laptop now than jump on it there might be some updates in the next 2 months-4 months i think.

5. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

7. robo74 macrumors 6502

Want it today? Buy it today.
    Dont want it, dont buy until your ready.

There will always be a new model on the horizon, even after a new one is released.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

9. Chicago Limo macrumors newbie

Chicago Limo

Buy now! Mac always comes up with something faster, better looking and cooler. You can always wait till the next model comes out, but remember that after it comes out the next one will be even better.

10. INEEDANOTEBOOK, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

Hurry! It's probably your last chance to buy a core 2 duo!!

11. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I dont need a new computer now so I'm waiting for the new one. If I did need one I would check out the referbs on the apple online store, good deals there. I doubt the new one will make todays obsolete

Enjoy your new computer

12. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

uh....15" don't have Core 2 Duos. You'd have to hunt for some very old models through ebay for those ones. :rolleyes:

OP - If you need one now, get one, there won't be any major advances between the next 2 gens of laptops unless you *need ABSOLUTE CUTTING EDGE PERFORMANCE*, if you're working on them with various office suites, and whatnot, you'll be fine getting the current gen.

13. baxingo macrumors member

didn't the 2009 mbp's all have c2d's?

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

Frankly, I find this cliched response to be, well, cliched and wrong.

Of course, sometimes you just need to get your work done and buy one even if new model is coming out next week.

But if you want the latest and greatest, the best time to buy MBP is within the first month after new model is released (ideally from one of many online stores that offers rebate, typically ranging between $50 to $175).

And upcoming MBP will sport major CPU revision, Sandy Bridge, likely with quad core in mid to high-end configurations offering significant performance and battery life improvements. And I wouldn't be surprised if Apple offers SSD at significant discount over current pricing.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

If you're the sort who wants the latest and greatest, then you already know that you need to wait and you wouldn't post yet another new thread asking if you should buy now or wait.

The response only seems cliched because the question is repeated so often. Since you are someone who knows his priorities, the advice in the response is not meant for you -- it is meant for the indecisive who ask what they should do.

16. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I'd like to know what makes you think quad core is likely since all the SB quads have a 45W TDP which is 10W higher than what Apple uses. Quad core is unlikely (though not impossible) and would require a cooling system redesign and probably a case redesign as well.

17. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

The moment you open the box, it's already old or a new one is going to be released "soon". Which no one ever knows for sure when that would be.

Do what my professor said to do, "Protect your ass."

If you are doubting buying it now, well there's a chance you're going to regret it soon. Since you know that there is a refresh coming up, don't go for it. I am only saying this since you have doubts.

If you can put that aside and already accept the fact that a new one is on the way, then buy it now.

18. INEEDANOTEBOOK, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

Sorry my bad, I thought the OP wanted a 13" - too many threads on this...:D

Anyhow - here is another point to consider: If the new gen of 15" gets SSD: are you willing to pay for this? 15" + SSD = pricey.:cool:

19. robo74 macrumors 6502

You can find it however you want. Apple is a major company and they are always thinking about the next model.
    All you folks have on the "next release" is a rumor, and the last time I checked, only people who buy bridges buy rumors.
    So, if your constantly waiting for the next big thing, you will always be waiting. There will always be something bigger and better.

The best time to buy a mac or any other piece of technology is when your ready, and can find your best deal that you can afford.

20. nutmac macrumors 68040

Although SB quads have 45W TDP, which is 25% higher than previous Arrandale, it does not translate to 25% reduction in battery life. TDP represents the maximum amount of power drawn, so while worst case battery life will indeed decrease, that won't be the case in real life. According to early benchmarks from Anandtech, TomsHardware, etc., the battery life will increase for all but worst case scenarios.

21. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Ha! That was great. I'm impressed with all the closet MacRumors comedians who came out of the woodwork to participate in that thread. Some even did a good job of lampooning their own posting styles. Nice!

22. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

You should have bought before the end of December, since reseller discounts have largely gone away.

23. Mac Composer macrumors member

Good time to buy...no. Unless you absolutely need one today.

Wait for the refresh, anywhere between Feb. & April it should happen. At that point you can buy the latest & greatest or a current model at a discount.

24. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Along with all the answers that came from others, right now is not the best time to buy.

Buy only if you must -- trust me, I am dying here as well but I am hanging on w/ my pc laptop for now.

25. charlesclemons, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

charlesclemons macrumors newbie

Why buy a MacBook instead of Windows based laptop

When you buy a mac it doesn't come with a lot of useless software that lower end computers seem to. It comes with easy to use photo/movie editing software as standard , and instant access to itunes. A common mistake is that macs cost more when compared to pcs , however when you compare macbook to a dell xps with similar specs they are about the same price. The Mac Os takes up less memory then vista and is easy to use. Both are good but that's some of the reasons people choose mac