Good time to get an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mojobaggins, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mojobaggins macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Probably a dumb question but with a possible new iPhone coming out in June, would it be a good idea to get an iPhone now? I can pick-up a new 3G 8gb iPhone for $130 thru a 35% off promotion thru the AT&T wireless website. If a new version does come out and I want to upgrade, I'm thinking I should be able to sell it for around $100.

Thanks for reading
    Mojo

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

the question is, when you want to upgrade before you're eligible, what will your price be?

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

If you could unlock that iPhone 3G that I'm assuming you'll be buying, you can sell it for more than $100.. Let's say $400ish or you might try $500ish mark.

And also consider that none of us yet know how much the new iPhone will be, neither its upgrade price.

4. Mojobaggins thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea what the upgrade cost was for folks that went from the 2G to 3G phone?

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

They were able to receive the subsidized price because they paid full price for the 1st-gen iPhone. It won't be like that going from 3G to the new iPhone.

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

$199 and $299 for the 8GB and 16GB respectively.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Added $10 per month to my data plan; that's about it.....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

8. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

That's not necessarily true. Just because everyone paid full-price for the original, doesn't mean that they were able to receive the subsidized price for the 3G. Many people, me included, upgraded from the original to the 3G, even though I was still under contract for a Razr I purchased prior. In that case, I wasn't yet eligible for an upgrade, and the purchase of the original iPhone didn't void that eligibility period. It had nothing to do with purchasing an unsibsidized phone.

For example, if you went into AT&T and purchased an unsibsidized phone, that would not void the upgrade eligibility from your iPhone 3G. You'd still have to wait a period of time before upgrading from the 3G before being allowed to upgrade.

The special "upgrade" price will more than likely happen for the next-gen iPhone as well. The reason the reduced price exists is for people to renew their two-year contract.

Think about it. AT&T offers an "upgrade" price from the previous phone. All this does is ensure that your 2-year contract is renewed. They don't mind taking the hit as long as they have you on the hook for at least $80 a month. The plan more than pays for the phone by the end of the 2-year mark.

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

That's assuming they went from iPhone to iPhone. If not then it could of also been $399 and $499 respectively.. or for the sake of argument, and we know everyone loves that, they could of also purchased non-contract iPhones for $599 and $699 respectively. :apple: