Good time to get Aperture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scorch07, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Ok so I'm considering getting Aperture 2. I have Lightroom 1 but I've been playing with Aperture 2 a little bit and I really like it a lot better, and LR1 gets kind of bogged down with my 50D's big images being only 32 bit.

Anyway, my question is if now is a good time. I know it's been a little while since 2 came out, but there aren't really any rumors or evidence about anything new. Just like anyone else though, I don't want to buy it and have a new one come out in a few weeks, so does anybody have any advice on this?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if you have something already - Lightroom - that is doing the job then unless you have some more immediate need other than "I like it better" I think if it were me I would wait a bit and see if Apple updates some of the pro apps like Aperture around (or shortly after) the 10.6 release in September. Of course, playing the wait and see game has its pitfalls too - if you wait a little while and nothing happens you'll keep waiting and waiting until ultimately you do buy it after which Apple releases the new version a week later heheheh....oh yeah!

3. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that would be really annoying haha. My main thing is, I just shot my uncle's wedding this weekend, partly with RAW files, completely forgetting about LR1's inability to handle them. Not that the JPEGS don't look good too, but I would like to be able to work with them, ya know? I also have issues with the way LR handles files sometimes too, as I like to keep most of my images on an external hard drive. Aperture seems to have a better system for handling this (compared to just having to have two catalogs and such with LR). I'm really in a dilemma haha.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to bump this older thread but I'm curious if the OP chose aperture of LR.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence, thinking of dropping aperture and picking up LR. Adobe seems better at providing updates and I think the editing capability is better then aperture. I'm still working with the trial of LR however.