Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattchless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
NYC
This was the first white stand alone iMac with the intel core duo and don't know if I should try and sell it now with the idea of getting a newer iMac or mac mini or riding it out with Lion coming soon.

I've upgraded it to Snow Leopard, upgraded the peripherals to the magic mouse and the aluminum keyboard, and maxed out the ram to 2GB but it's starting to get slow. The computer has been awesome for me. Haven't had any problems with it and works for my needs I suppose, but I feel like this computer is starting to get ancient and is really going to feel that way once Lion comes out this summer. I mean, is 2GB a ram going to be enough for this machine to be viable in the future? Can I even get decent value for the cpu? Wondering what you all think if I should try to sell it or did I miss the window and should just use it for as long as I can.

Thanks.

*I posted a similar topic in the iMac section but as a newbie didn't know which was more appropriate. Please delete if I did anything wrong. Thanks.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Right now it has probably hit that point where it won't matter much if you sell it now versus a year from now. Mainly due to its 2 gb ram ceiling.

I would just decide on selling it depending if it currently meets your needs. Does it do everything you need it to do? If not, look at selling it. However if it meets your needs, hold out on upgrading.

If you can wait, try craiglist and see what offers you get.

mattchless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
NYC
Thanks. That's cool. I suppose it fits my needs for now but can't hurt to post it on Craig's list and see what offers I get.
Any idea what a good price would be to list/accept? $600? I have no clue!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.