Good timing for an upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tcphillips12, Oct 25, 2013.

  1. tcphillips12 macrumors newbie

    Oct 22, 2013
    Hi all, I am new to this site, so excuse my possible (yet likely) ignorance.

    I have a 2.5 year old iPhone 4, and have been eligible for an upgrade for about 6 months now. I knew Apple's pattern for releasing new iPhones, so I intentionally waited until the announcement/release of the 5s to upgrade.

    I also had always planned on waiting about a month in the occurrence of a major glitch in the phone (similar to iPhone 4's reception problem), and also because I am not in a rush to get the newest phone.

    As you can [easily] tell, it has been a little over a month, and I have been checking frequently to see if there has been any large problems with the new device, and it seems (for the most part) like a solid upgrade. I say for the most part due to reports of frequent crashing, accelerometer problems (which is apparently fixed with an updated calibration) and a few others.

    My question is: by your estimate, is it a "safe" time to update and order my phone? Or should I wait a little bit longer? I am okay with waiting another month (or so) if it means that my phone will be a better device overall. I am not in a rush either. My iPhone 4 works just fine.

    Thanks all. :apple:

    TL;DR - Have an upgrade, want 5s, don't want glitches - wait longer or okay to order now?
  2. MsRandall macrumors 65816


    Nov 27, 2011
    Bay Area, Ca
    I have always ordered the first batch and never had any issues ....I believe all issues have been addressed on the 5s- mine has been flawless and I received it a week after launch

    Btw orders are slowing shipping - you might be better reserving online for local pick up
  3. Sekelani macrumors 6502


    May 26, 2012
    Hey buddy nice to meet you and welcome. I have the iPhone 5s and I've had the iPhone 4. It's a worthy upgrade. You'll love it. So many new features and it's a big leap forward. I'd go for it.
  4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020


    Jul 9, 2009
    you can always wait and essentially get a better device because software is always being updated.

    But if you buy it now, you aren't going to miss out on that future update either.

    No reason not to upgrade. Only a small minority of devices have problems.

    You have to remember that this forum only represents a VERY VERY VERY small percentage of apple customers. Of the customers on this board, not everyone has an iPhone 5S, and of those who do, you are much more likely to see someone complain about a problem than someone to post about their trouble free experience. I would take the majority of complaints as rare instances, they are definitely not occurring on the majority of phones.

    I would not order it online... people have been waiting over a month to get their online orders shipped. I used an online apple store stock tracker to see which models were in stock at any given store and was able to get the device I wanted within 2 days.
  5. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020


    Mar 19, 2012
    Right now is a great time to upgrade. Especially from a iPhone 4.
  6. tcphillips12 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 22, 2013
    Thanks for all of the great responses. I assumed now was a good time to go for it - I just wanted to get a 2nd opinion. I noticed a few of you said to track/pick up in store because of the long processing time? I was looking at ordering through my carrier online (Verizon - just what I typically do) and I believe [as of a few days ago] the model/capacity I wanted was scheduled to "ship by 10/28". Are those inaccurate?

    Thanks again.
  7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020


    Jul 9, 2009
    I would assume verizon is quoting accurate times. I have verizon as well and when I ordered mine verizon was on a 2-3 week wait. They could have more in stock now though.
  8. 3lite macrumors 6502a


    Nov 7, 2011
    Honestly, if you are fine with waiting and you sound like a very patient guy, wait for the iPhone 6!

    I think people who only upgrade via 2 years should definitely start with a solid number iPhone, and not the 'S' version cycle.
  9. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a


    Jul 12, 2009
    It depends on what you use your iPhone for, weather or not the phone is a worthy upgrade.

    Honestly, unless you see the need for the features of the 5S, either the 5S or the 5C will be a great upgrade for you. (Not to mention saving a few bucks or getting more storage than then entry 5S for the same price, if you go the 5C route.)

    I stress though, you should take a good look at both phones and what you will be using them for. Then upgrade and don't look back.
  10. DanTSX macrumors regular

    Oct 22, 2013

    LTE is great. Very fast
    I like the new iOS a lot.
    Larger display
    Outstanding battery life

    5s or 5c. Both great. I went 5c. No regrets
  11. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

    Sep 24, 2013
    It all depends with the level of of performance from your existing phone and weather you are feeling handicapped and if you are willing to pay a bit extra next year to go for the 6, or stick it out with the 5s and wait for the upgrade to the 6s. If you want a bigger screen, you should wait it out (about 10 months or so) and get a 6. I was in the same predicament, gave the 5 to the wife and took over her 4s, I ordered the 5S a few weeks ago basically deciding that I would pay the 200-300 dollars net (after paying the ETF and selling my 5s) next year and pick up a 6 with a larger display. If i did not feel like getting out of my contract, going through the process of selling my phone and not picking up the Verizon Edge offer, i would have stuck with the 4s and waited it out for the 6 to come out.
  12. jr866gooner macrumors 65816


    Aug 24, 2013
    Like yourself I have an iPhone 4 and have been eligible for an upgrade since sept 3rd.

    I never leave it this long, my contract was on a galaxy s2 but have had the ip4 for 3-4 months now and love it.

    Difference with my delay is I'm waiting for a drop in price as I want a 32gb device. Don't think 16gb will cut it for music and my ever increasing pictures of my son! I like to be sure I have plenty of space. My s2 had 32gb card but I'm on an 8gb device at the moment plus the headphone jack is faulty :(

    I'm unsure if I delay it will make any difference? Plus if I pick an ip5 or and ip5c (the cheaper options) would I get two years worth of updates during my two years? Or would I be stuck on old firmware like android tend to do?!
  13. tcphillips12 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 22, 2013
    I understand completely. The entire reason I got an iPhone 4 rather than the 4s was because I needed the extra memory (opted for the 32gb) and didn't want to pay $300 for the 4s 32gb. Unfortunately, I maxed out the phone's space almost completely because of my music. I am probably going to have to get an iPod classic to hold me over for a few more years, as I refuse to pay $400 for a device that I know will be maxed out within a year or so.

    As for your question about receiving two years worth of updates - absolutely you will. The iPhone 4 is three years old and was still eligible for iOS 7.

Share This Page