Good tips for begginer

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Xtrician, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Xtrician macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I want to learn and begin to build applications for iOS.

Where to start?
    On any good books you recommend?
    The iPhone Developer's Cookbook: Building Applications with the iPhone 3.0 SDK (2nd Edition)
    Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
    Programming in Objective-C 2.0

I wanted to note that I have no prior knowledge in programming languages (Its okay or i must to know something before i starting? Or just start read that books??!) ​​, I have a MacBook and i know i need to pay to Apple and then download the Xcode to start.

I'd love to hear your suggestions and more tips to help me get start.

Thank you!

2. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

You will find this forum very useful as you run into bumps along the way. Your topic comes up quite frequently here. Search this forum for similar threads and you will find all sorts of information.

Nick

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

"The iPhone Developer's Cookbook" is not a good book to start with, but can come in handy once you are comfortable with the fundamentals. For that, I'd suggest starting with "Programming in Objective-C 2.0", and then moving on to "Beginning iPhone Development".

You don't need to pay Apple, unless you want to deploy your apps to a device ($99/year) or you want to use Xcode 4 ($4.99 or free as a paid iOS Developer). If you register as an Apple Developer, you can get Xcode 3 (which most current beginner material is based on) + the iOS SDK and you can run apps in the Simulator.

Also, be sure to visit the Guides and Stickies at the top of this very forum.

4. Xtrician thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your respond !
    Im starting right away :) !

5. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

My Tip: When you feel like giving up, don't!

;)

RTP.

6. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Kochan's programming in Object C is on the must read list, though the 3rd edition is out in a few days so you might want to wait. I'm also reading DiVoe's Obective C, which seems a bit more technical but still suitable for a beginner.

Forgot to mention Kindle is significantly cheaper than iBooks for both books. In general the iBook prices on tech books are not very good.

7. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

While working out the exercises in a book like Programing in Objective C is a good way to get you feet wet I've always found that I learn the most about programming when I have a specific problem I'd like to solve. I look to the books, forums, tutorials, etc as references to solving my problem.

8. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Big nerd ranch have a great iPhone Programming book.
    Similar to their Cocoa guide but reworked for iOS. Along with Learning Objective-C I found them a very good start. Also found it was good to work through the examples then at the end of each chapter have a think about and write notes or simple project for how that bit would apply to the App i had in mind.

9. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Once you get into the groove of things, be sure not to allow yourself to burn out. If you are anything like me, too much repetition causes a hatred for the task at hand. Make sure you learn at your own pace, and don't take on too much at once.

Additionally, practice what you have learned. Most books will have sample projects for you to build and play around with. These present a great opportunity to practice by using your own variables, data types, etc. or even add new features that you have learned from other sources.