good 'to do' app ?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Bellamichelle, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Bellamichelle macrumors newbie

Bellamichelle

I was using the basic notes that came with my iphone and found I really liked having a list on my phone and leaving all the pieces of paper at home. Then, I came to want the ability to make groups or project lists, and notes is just one long continuous list. Now, I've come to want a reminder that a task needs to happen and be reminded. So I started searching for apps and am overwhelmed at reading about them. I've looked in the app store but the descriptions are often general or vague or feel like over marketing. I searched for reviews and found a lot of information and am now wondering if anyone knows of a comparison so I can tell how they compare.

I like being able to create groups, be able to repeat tasks/items, show them complete, have an alert or alarm, be notified, having it talk to my google calendar would be nice too.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

:eek:

michelle

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

3. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

4. iKingsley86 macrumors member

Awesome Note is not bad: beautiful, powerful and with alarm notifications.

But I recommend Things. Because it is more intuitive and more easy-to-use!

5. jinhaogxy macrumors member

jinhaogxy

Easy reminder -best efficient to do, and It's free.
    Check it here: Easy Reminder

6. Bellamichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Bellamichelle

I had not seen this one so thank you for suggesting it. I may get it for exactly what it is, a reminder program. I read the website and the FAQ and they clearly state they will not make it into a to do list so I am still looking for that. But I used to use a shareware program on my mac called 'reminder pro' and I loved it for those things you don't want to forget like 'pay property taxes' which just happens to need to happen by Saturday here. :rolleyes:

I'll check back for any other suggestions.

Thanks again.

7. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Wunderlist. Syncs to all your devices. Easy to use. Free.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

This. So simple to be able to manage tasks on my iMac and have them wirelessly synced to my iPhone and iPad. You can also add tasks via email but I've never bothered to learn how.

9. Bellamichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Bellamichelle

Wunderlist is nice, fairly basic in appearance, but clean. One aspect that it does not have, or I cannot find, it a way to set a reminder, alert or alarm for an action item. I don't do this for a lot of things, but it is VERY helpful at times. I wanted a new chair for my desk and storables had their great bungie chair on sale. I wanted to set an alert to the last day of the sale as I knew I had a lot of things going on at work and home and could easily forget. The last day, an alarm went off to remind me and I was glad as I had gotten a call and pulled my mind away. I made it to the store before it closed to grab a chair and I would NOT have remembered it my app had not alerted me.

If anyone knows if wunderlist has this feature, I'd be happy to find out how/where it is.

Thanks.

10. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Reminders/alarms/notices are a piece of cake on the iPad and iPhone - on your Mac not so much.

On either the iPad or iPhone your enter your task. It will show up in your list. Tap it and a new screen will come up which allows you to set a due date and reminder (push and/or email). Haven't found out how to do it on my Mac though.

11. Bellamichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Bellamichelle

Ok, thanks I missed that.
    I like to make groups or categories, such as 'get' 'call' 'look for' and then create lists so when I'm out and about, I can pull up my list for get, or look for and see if any place near me is a good source for the items. When I create the group name in wunderlist, under list, then when I go to the next screen it calls it task. So I go to put the list there, but there is not a return in the text field, so you cannot really make a list. Is there an easier way to make a list? does each item have to be it's own task? That seems like a lot of extra steps to just make a list.

thanks

12. Bellamichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Bellamichelle

So I've been looking at apps that I've seen mentioed here and in other searches and hear good things about these

2 do
    toodledo
    awesome notes
    Todo

and some that appear to be liked but have fewer features
    wunderlist
    Evernote

In some cases, I've seen reference to using two of them, saying I use Awesome Note with Todo.

I will admit to major confusion on if they do similar things, why do people use both and if they do, how do the interface?

The info on the app store is not detailed about how they work, more a features list.
    I'm willing to pay for an app but I don't want to have to pay for it to figure out how it actually works. I have bought one, but it turned out to have few features and working with it helped me learn that I needed some of the features.

I appreciate any help.
    michelle

13. Bellamichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Bellamichelle

Can you say more? What is task eater? How can it help?

thanks

14. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

I use Due and Todo.

Due's great for repeating tasks and reminding me of something I really could easily forget to do were my phone not beeping at me every minute, but it's too simple for projects.

Todo's better for projects, and I like that choosing a due date is easier and faster, and that I can easily modify a few tasks all at the same time rather than one by one (like say postponing a few tasks till later).

Most importantly both back up online, so were I to lose my iPhone or do a complete factory restore (I've had to do that twice when my iPhone back up had saved the bug that crashed my iPhone in the first place), I can easily restore all my reminders and tasks.

15. Bellamichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Bellamichelle

Thanks for sharing your set up. So do you have to each one separately to see what is due, what you need? Or do they somehow overlap each other?

michelle

16. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

http://www.tobiaswiedenmann.com/taskeater/index.html ability to set reminders recurring and once, there's an update coming to bring lists which i think you wanted, and there is self assignable categories so your tasks are organised by what they entail like home, work, business stuff.. and most of all it just looks great! :)

and so simple, which some love, others don't.. ive tried various difference todo apps and setups from Things, Wunderlist, Dropkick which is relatively unknown but so simple and has cloud sync and a mac client too

its all about what you like and what you'll work best with :)

17. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

You've got to set up each independently.

I use Todo for projects, and I use Due for small stuff that I'd likely forget to do on time (clothes need to be dry by tomorrow, so as soon as I get home I should start the laundry) and things I might forget doing altogether (like taking my meds). What's great about Due is it just keeps beeping at you every minute till you either do what you need to do and check it off or postpone it ten minutes, one hour, or one day in case you can't do it at that time.

18. russell1256 macrumors regular

Try Easy Note, it's free and the best I've found.