Good To-Do/Task managers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by netnothing, May 6, 2008.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Does anyone have a good Todo or task manager for Leopard? One that makes it easy to enter Todos and can have popup alarms.

I'm used to using the Tasks in Outlook 2003 on the PC. While very basic, they work. I can enter a simple description, then click on the Due Date column and a calendar will popup.

Here's what I'd like to have:

1) easy entry of todos
    2) calendar popup to select due date (Why can't Apple do this with iCal? Why must I know what day without seeing it in a calendar?)
    3) automatic alarm for the morning of the due date and the ability to change it.

I don't want to run Entourage just for todos, and iCal's todo leave something to be desired (no calendar popup, no default alarm).

Anyone have any good recommendations for apps?

-Kevin

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

ical is good, i love it and plus you can sync with gmail cal

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's great...for you. But it doesn't answer the OP's requirements.

I hear ya. I wish iCal was more fully featured.

Just a suggestion, you might want to send feedback to Apple. Who knows, if they receive enough we may see future improvements like you mention.

For me, I would love to be able to print out a 6 week calendar from iCal. This feature would be very useful to me, so right now I must use a different program to do this.

4. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

To me, iCal (and even Todos in Mail) have two main drawbacks that are show stoppers for me:

1) You have to manually enter the date! I mean c'mon, if I want to put in a quick todo, and select next Friday, why do I have to go figure out what next Fridays date is? A popup calendar is too hard to code? While in iCal at least I have a calendar right there, however, in Apple Mail this is absolutely ridiculous as I don't have any calendar right in front of me.

2) Assuming that I enter the date correctly, now I want a default alarm. In iCal to get any alarm on Todos, I have to click on the Todo, click on the Due Date box, click on Alarm message with sound, then I have to adjust the date.

As much as I hate the way Outlook 2003 organizes Todos, at least it makes it easy for me to enter a quick todo and give it a due date with a default alarm.

-Kevin

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i think you have chosen the wrong link. i think you meant Things.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

+1 for Things. I love it. It's free right now as it's in beta, but v1 should be coming up soon.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

9. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

How does either Omnifocus or Things handle alerts? Can either popup a reminder on it's own, or do they have to sync through iCal and use iCal's reminders.

The popup reminder is a must for me. I'm busy throughout the day and need that reminder box to 'nag' me so I stay on track. Maybe it's just the old school way of doing things, but I feel that it works for me.

I thought I read where Things does have any alerts?

-Kevin