Good to Go with the MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GStreakT, Nov 19, 2007.

  1. GStreakT macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    #1
    Okay, I just got a confirmation from my dad that I can indeed go ahead and purchase a MacBook Pro. Argh, I feel so guilty especially when my present MacBook's fine (just slower). My MacBook's slowed down a considerable amount and I think that a MacBook Pro might not be a choice any longer. But first a few confirmation questions for this computer.

    1. I'm an art student and I know in the future I'll be making heavy use of Adobe CS 2, Dreamweaver, Flash and the like. I have read that matte screens are indeed the best for any color-minded professions. Is this true?

    Having said that (and this might be subjective), but do all screens, glossy and matte, change colors greatly when you tilt the screen or change your sitting position. I'm not talkin about viewing angle 'cause it's obviou the display colors will change significantly then. I'm only talking about absent mindedly tilting the screen back, or getting up for a drink of water and sitting down at the screen. I use a glossy screen and I find the displays colors change greatly if I ever do any of these.

    Ugh, and also will my Adobe CS2 (I have all CDs) work on Leopard?

    2.Also, I know I've stated this, but I'm a hard core camer. Has anyone tried any PC games of Doom 3 or Quake 4? Do they lag with the nVIDIA GeForce 8600? Is this card really ahead of its time and will last a significant while?

    3.Is the future Pennryn (sorry for the spelling error) affect the 2.4 GhZ MBP that I'l be buying, or is it just a matter of reducing heat?

    4. Last question (as of now): Should I buy this online or in the store. What ar e the pros and cons of each? I heard if you buy it in person you could get a greater discount? I am elligible for a student discount by the way.

    edit: Thought of a #5, do the SR MacBook Pros still have the battery swelling problem?

    Thanks so much! This would sum up my decision of buying my future and my first second laptop:)
     
  2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

    kajitox

    Joined:
    May 2, 2007
    #2
    Your post makes me wonder why you didn't go for the MBP to begin with...I can address the screen problem: I think I have collected that matte screens show more true colors whereas glossy screens saturate the colors to be more strikingly amazing. Aka, if true color is important to you, go matte. Also, I think tilting the screen is just a matter of viewing angle in and of itself; just as if you were to sit at an angle to your computer you would see untrue colors, as would you if you were sitting too high or too low (or if the screen were tilted).

    As for the new processors, they will probably bump speeds too, but don't let that stop you, the speed increases won't be worth the wait; take it from someone who waited for FAR too long and didn't have this amazing computer to use in the mean time. Just get it now.

    Also, I'd buy it online just for the customization, if you wanted it. It's worth the wait.
     
  3. admiraldennis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2002
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #3
    It must be nice to get whatever you want just by asking. But I digress...

    Adobe CS2 is running slow because it's a PPC application running in emulation. It's going to be almost just as slow on a MacBook Pro -- Photoshop doesn't rely on GPU and the CPUs are fairly similar. I'd highly suggest getting a copy of CS3 -- it will run a *ton* faster on any intel mac.

    Glossy screens are inferior in almost every way. They screw up colors, reflect light (horrible glare outside), and generally just suck. Get the matte.

    Doom 3 and Quake 4 will be no problem for the MacBook Pro -- they run pretty much fine on my much older 2.16 Ghz Core Duo w/ a Radeon X1600.

    I don't see how a future processor could possibly affect a machine you buy now.
     
  4. Poogis macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2006
    Location:
    London, UK
    #4
    I have just bought myself a matte MacBook Pro 2.2 last Thursday after wondering whether to wait until January, February, March, etc.

    All I can say is that I'm glad I did - I'm amazed at how fast it is compared to my (now sold) G5 1.8 . I could have waited but I figured that I'd be waiting all my life if I had that mentality.

    I've also been a bit worried about all the 'yellowing' issues with the screens but mine seems OK so far (I had to calibrate the colours though as it did seem a bit yellow).

    I say go for it or, like others will tell you here, wait until January or the near future as you have the luxury of the MacBook as backup.

    As with all Apple products, a new version of yours is all ready being planned whatever the product. That's called progress (and life).
     
  5. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    #5
    Blargh, ask my parents that. But they're pretty much regretting having taken up that decision for me.

    Thanks for your reply. I'm convinced that glossy isn't a good idea. But is the only free customization matte and glossy? Doesn't Apple sell MacBook Pro (the 15inch, 2.4 GhZ anyway) with matte screens, so then I could just walk into a store/dealership? There's no Apple Store where I live (the closest is 45 minutes away), but there is an Apple Dealership. My dad thinks if there's been any defects on it, I could go to the dealership to get it fixed rather than mail boxes back and forth. He's just a little too prudent.
    As an aside is it possible to get any further discounts on a new notebook apart from a student discount at a dealership, (if at all anyone has tried)?
     
  6. kajitox macrumors 6502a

    kajitox

    Joined:
    May 2, 2007
    #6
    I'm relatively sure that the student discount isn't combinable with other discounts...someone confirm me...

    But if you're not looking to get a better harddrive or anything, sure get it from a store...but if you did have problems with it, I would still take it to an Apple Store, just make sure you do it when you're near that other place/make sure you set an appt...but that's also assuming something goes wrong with your computer :D
     
  7. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    #7
    O, and do the SR MacBook Pros still have the battery swelling problem?
     
  8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

    ktbubster

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #8
    I am not sure if you are in HS or college.... since you seem to be living at home, so I guess that could be that you are in a college town or going to Community college, but if you don't get the student discount for some reason, perhaps look into getting a refurb. Now... it doesnt' seem like money is a huge factor for you (although I assume you will be selling your current macbook to help pay for hte mbp in your future) but the refurb store is a great way to save about 100-200 bucks off the student price even, and those have been checked over twice, because if they got returned for anything ... then that has been fixed and have have been super looked over (although perhaps a new box, and other tales of refurbs have kept you away from them...)

    I have a 2.2 SR and no battery swelling at all. I haven't heard too much lately if at all about that on these, but then again maybe I haven't looked enough. Either way I wouldn't worry about it.

    And yes... Matte is the way to go for what you do. I had a matte and swear by it if you are doing any sorta graphics/printing. While LCDS are never gonna be perfect (atleast for a while) in a laptop for graphics stuff, matte is much better. I only switched to glossy because I have an external for other things now.

    Either way, don't worry too much about your computer having defects, the chances are really small, and if it does you will get it fixed, but chances are you will have a great machine.

    Also... by apple dealership I assume you mean apple certified reseller or whatnot? There are a lot of things that even those places can't really fix instore. Most big problems you might have would probably require the computer sent in anyway, and I think you can still get your computers fixed under warranty at any of those places whether you buy there or not, so it's not that much of a problem.

    Black Friday is 3 days away, you could order online and see if there are any specials then :)

    Enjoy your new comp. It'll handle things wonderfully.

    Oh... and yes. Try to find a discount version of CS3 somewhere. CS2 is not native so it won't ever be quite as snappy on an intel machine. Fine for now, but you will want to look into saving up a bit for a copy of CS3 from somewhere. :)
     
  9. panda macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2004
    #9
    an alternative

    how about keeping the macbook and buying an imac to go with it?

    this gives you one computer to have with you on campus and another one with a big screen at home.

    this should cost about the same as 1 macbook pro, considering you will also lose some money on the resale of the macbook you have.
    :)
     
  10. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    #10
    Yes, I am a college student (in a university), and the refurb was actually a backup if by chance student discount didn't apply for me:)

    Heh heh, actually I'm not selling my MacBook. I know, I know, I'm being stupid/stubborn. I paid 1,600 something dollars for this notebook (I bought it form the university) and it comes with Microsoft Office and Adobe CS2. But only because it has a combo drive, my trade-in value is going to be 300 dollars (and 500, if it came with a SuperDrive). While I know 300 dollars is a lot by itself, comparitvely it really isn't. Then again, I might change my mind in the near future and do so (would I get store credit or cash for the trade-in item?).

    Same. I figured if I happen to be near an Apple Store this Thanksgiving, I'll enquire about it at the store itself:)

    O I actually ahd a question about this. Will the Black Friday sales reflect on the online Apple Store? And will they count my student discount also? This is my first year using anything Apple, so I'm just curious about thir policies. But I'll definitely keep checking the prices at the online store.

    I've already started to save up. I did ask a few people around about CS2 and they said that they won't be as fast on Leopard, but also Leopard won't reject it which is a temporary relief.

    Thanks so much for your well-wishes and your spontaneous reply, ktbubster. I hope it all goes well too:)
     
  11. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #11
    Battery from that manufacturer batch were recalled, so there shouldn't be a problem.
     
  12. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #12
    Resale of a used MacBook is worth much more than $300 or $500...

    Heck, if you want to sell it around that price, let me know.
     
  13. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    #13
    I had actually planned on it, Panda. My initial plan was to buy another iMac and keep this MacBook, but portability is a priority for a university student. And I'd have no where to keep the iMac during the summers (lugging it around on 3 transit flights is going to be a real nusance too). I could keep it in storage but we get 3 months off for summers. The iMac would be pretty dusty and hot sitting in storage and I wouldn't have peace of mind eiter. So, I guess I have no choice but to get the MacBook Pro=) I just ...don't want to give Apple more of my money:(
     
  14. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    #14
    I just read Ars Technica and a few say that Apple 's not having sales/deals during Black Friday but just special ideas as their email said. I kinda got the same gist too.
     
  15. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    #15
    I'll consider it;)
     
  16. AdobeWan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2007
    #16
    You're crazy

    You absolutely know they're going to release brand new lines in January, likely with entirely new chip architectures, LED backlighting for the 17" model, and who knows what else (multi-touch? HD or BluRay drives? etc.)

    Personally, there is no way I am buying anything until then. 2 months is a short wait to get the first of the next gen hardware. I hope you reconsider. =)
     
  17. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

    Stridder44

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #17

    Word. I mean I can totally understand why people don't bother waiting for the "next update" but this one is right around the corner. It might not be entirely new chip architectures or anything like that, but it will be a bump nonetheless.
     
  18. AdobeWan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2007
    #18
    "This article corroborates an Inquirer report which claimed that Apple was buying up high end (3.2GHz) Penryn processors this year, leaving little supply for other PC manufacturers."

    This site and every other credible Mac rumor site agrees that Apple is buying Penryn chips en masse. January is almost always when they release new laptops, not just updates, but whole new lines. I still say it's crazy to buy anything before then. The craziness is compounded by the fact that the person already has a Macbook. Listen my friend! Wait!
     
  19. basqarl macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2007
    #19
    Same or similar questions re: MBP (mostly concerned about bugs in MBP with Penryn)

    Still considering other options for myself for MBP and there are great posts here but I still have a few questions...

    Am still browsing the forums to try to figure out whether to get it now or wait for upgrade to Penryn in January or February (assuming the rumors are true).

    Son has MBP and complains of over-heating and battery issues. As an amateur photographer, I want the max RAM (will probably order separately through another vendor to save $$$). I also want the matte high resolution screen due to more realistic color saturation and representation.

    Have been considering 15" but although I want portability when needed, this will also serve as my desktop, so I'm thinking that the 17" might serve me better. Also, I tend to have many applications and many windows open at once, so 17" will probably give me better immediate access visually.

    Am not in a HUGE hurry, but my old Dell laptop is on its last legs and is very very slow (and does not have the features I need at this point), so the sooner the better, except that I am hearing that the Penryn will not have the heating issues and will be faster (?) so really am torn as to whether to ride it out on my Dell or buy now.

    Another thing is that when the new MBP comes out, there will probably be bugs to be ironed out; not sure I want to have to deal with that; buying a 'tested' system such as the current MBP may be the way to go.

    What do folks think about possible bugs that need to be worked out with newest version of MBP due out in Jan/Feb?

    Sorry for any redundancy.... am a newbie....:eek:
     
  20. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

    Stridder44

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #20

    Oh. Good to know then! I was already planning on waiting anyway, but at least now I know that it'll be more than a simple "bump". Any idea on the timeframe? Probably around January I'm assuming?
     
  21. kajitox macrumors 6502a

    kajitox

    Joined:
    May 2, 2007
    #21
    If you wait, you'll never buy. Just letting you know. I waited for Leopard and I ended up getting the shaft in June when they announced it was backed up. Then I waited for the SR chipset time and again and got the shaft each Tuesday when it didn't come. If I had just bought the damned thing months and months ago, I would have been able to enjoy it for that time. The differences aren't showstopping; just buy it now and enjoy it!!!

    (Written by someone who's lived through it.)
     
  22. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

    Stridder44

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #22

    Sorry, but looking down the road years from now and thinking, "Gee, all it would have taken to get a better MBP for free was just a little patience..." doesn't sit well with me. I wouldn't be satisfied full on knowing that an update was around the corner and buying one now.

    The point is not to wait and wait for a huge update, just the soonest one that's coming (assuming an update didn't just happen). Once that hits, buy.
     
  23. kajitox macrumors 6502a

    kajitox

    Joined:
    May 2, 2007
    #23
    But after the small update comes, the big updates will be around the corner. And once the big update comes it will be riddled with problems and the next revision will be right around the corner. And then once that comes, a new processor will be well on its way and the next revision will just be right around the corner. You get my drift.
     
  24. AdobeWan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2007
    #24
    You're missing the point

    I know what you're saying. I dish out that advice a lot, too. But this is different. Bottom line: in 60 days we're very likely to see Macbooks with entirely new chip architectures. End of story. If 60 days of enjoyment is worth being immediately semi-obsolete in January, by all means, go spend. :rolleyes:
     
  25. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

    Stridder44

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #25

    Thank you. Exactly what I was trying to say. I need a notebook too but I can be patient and wait a month/60 days.
     

Share This Page