Good trade?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BaddestArvai, Mar 25, 2014.

1. BaddestArvai, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

BaddestArvai macrumors regular

So I was looking at this post on craigslist of the last PowerMac G5 with the "quad core" 2.5Ghz processors. The guy wants $350 for the system, mouse, keyboard, and 19" monitor. I am willing to trade my Xbox 360 slim (250GB) with around 15 games. I never play it anymore. Sound like a good deal???

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/sys/4347130202.html

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

If someone near me had a quad and was willing to trade for me 250GB Xbox Slim, you bet I'd do it!

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If he is willing to trade it for that then sure. It seems a little steep to me, but I also haven't looked at high end PPC prices recently. However, the Xbox has zero value if you don't use it. I'd say go for it.

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

One guy that lives about a hour away is trying to sell a G5 Quad for $300. Too bad he won't take my Xbox!

5. BaddestArvai thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I think it's an okay deal. I haven't used the Xbox since November. And the guy wants to see pictures so I think he may be interested.

Lol that sucks. This guy lives like a half hour away from me. If I can get the quad I will be a happy guy!

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Go for it!

7. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Xbox is worthless to you if it sits there collecting dust, and won't increase in value. Get the mac if you want it.

8. RedCroissant Suspended

Oh yes. That is an awesome trade since it seems like the seller has stopped using it as a main machine. You can drop in 16GB RAM in there and then RAID a couple of SSDs and have a killer machine. I owned one for a while and had to sell it and I am jealous of this!

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Especially with a SATA II card that bootable, that thing will be taking off the runway :D! In all seriousness, I use a dual 1.8 for video and 2 * 1TB 7200 RPM hard drives and it is plenty fast. Also, I only have 2 GB in it unfortunately.

10. RedCroissant Suspended

Well mine had 2 1TB green drives in there(yes I know that's not wise but that's what I had) and 16GB RAM. AWESOME.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I think one of mine is a Caviar Green and the other is a Caviar Blue. Why are the green ones bad? They are what I had at the time around the house.

12. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I defiantly would, but I'd do awful things to get a quad G5! :p

13. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

This. If you're not using the XBox, but can use the G5, make the trade.

14. BaddestArvai, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014

BaddestArvai thread starter macrumors regular

Good trade???

Well I haven't got a reply yet from the guy with the quad, but I have another deal I might be doing and I want to see what you guys think:

3 x PowerMac G5 2.0 DP / 1gb ram / no HDD / no V card.

$75 ($25 each)

I would be using two of them for my home and selling one of them along with my DP 1.8 G5

15. RedCroissant Suspended

I would say no unless you have a good source for the VCs and HDDs. Plus, I think those machines required 2 RAM modules to boot with matching RAM, so are they 512MB modules?

Basically, it's going to cost you a lot more to get them running decently to make it worth it in my opinion unless (like I said) you already have the other parts readily available or can get them at very reasonable prices.

16. BaddestArvai thread starter macrumors regular

They all have 2 512mb modules. I have 2 80GB hard drives laying around and a 64mb AGP G5 video card. The guy said he can get $25 scrap for them at the recyclers. I may just buy 2...

17. RedCroissant Suspended

I doubt that value is correct for scrap (even with how much is in the G5). Because with what the seller is selling and what you have, it sounds likes you could at least have 1 working machine with 3GB RAM and at least a RAIDED 160GB system. Is the $25 per machine what the seller came up with? If so, Try talking them down a little bit more and actually asking for a quote for the $25 worth of scrap. Because honestly, I think that's crap. Sorry, I had to rhyme.

To be honest though, $75 is close to a reasonable price for one fully working machine and you could always just take them all apart and make sure every piece in the one that is working is in great shape.