Good trade?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Recently got an offer to trade my Quad G5 for a Mac Pro 2006. The only thing is the person trading says 4 of the 8 memory slots aren't functional and he can give me the cpus to upgrade it to 2.66ghz. Worth it?

2. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

I'd say do it if the rest of the Mac is sound. You'll get much more out of the Mac Pro than you will the G5 just by virtue of the available software. That comes down to your needs though--what do you use your Mac for?

3. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Are there any possibilities to screw up in memory installation? If it would be user error that would be a great deal.. dust or dirt in memory slots?

Mac Pro is of course far more powerful and supports much more software, also the G5 is so old and it could also fail anytime soon and very often it is the cooling system which fails destroying critical components so even though the Mac Pro maybe has some soft of failure who knows which machine remains usable longer time.

4. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

As for my uses I collect/buy/sell macs so this would be the first mac pro I would have owned. The guy who I'd trade with is very much capable when it comes to macs so I doubt its an easy fix.

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Kind of an odd question but it may be the memory trays. Worth a shot to find another set if you get the MP.

6. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

He told me he's tried swapping it out, troubleshooted it and nothing. I'm a bit hesitant as my quad works perfectly but always wanted a pro. Maybe I'll just wait for another opportunity.

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I wouldn't trade my quad for an 06 Mac Pro. They really have dropped in value since Lion is the last OS they officially support, and they can be picked up fairly cheap all day long. I especially wouldn't do it for one that could have a failing logicboard. Hardware failure in a 2006 box vs your G5 which is only a few months older really is just as likely at this point. I still use my quad G5 as my main setup, and have been tempted to get an 06 or 07 Pro to replace it, but I think the G5 is actually a higher valued machine at this point, and if I were to upgrade to a Mac Pro, it would have to be at least a 2008.

8. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

It sounds kinda of tempting, but ill still hold down to the Quad. Further the Mac Pro is still an early model, with defects, which may get worse.

While your Quad is running fine. If u happen to make the swap and something awful does happen to the Mac Pro.....ull be cursing!

I once had an offer for my G5 2.0 DP, double the sum which i bought it for, but just couldnt let it go, now i am happy that i made the decision!

9. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Texted the guy I trade/sell to, told him I'd need a fully functional machine. Appreciate all the help guys!

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad you are not taking a risk with getting a dying machine!