Good Trade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by noire, Dec 16, 2007.

1. noire macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about trading my Macbook Pro for an iMac. Here are the specs:

MBP: 17-inch, 2.16ghz Core Duo, 120gb 5400rpm hard drive, 1gb of ram
    iMac: 24-inch, 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo, 320rpm 7200rpm hard drive, 2gb of ram

I like my MBP, but for the time that I've had it, it's been primarily on my desktop. I like the option of portability, but at 17-inch, it's been a bit of a hassle. I'm considering adding a Macbook down the line if I go with the imac but want the option.

I like that the iMac has a 4GB ram capacity rather than 2GB, and that the drive is faster. The MBP has been really sluggish in Adobe CS3 apps.

The thing that's been messing with me is the price of the refurbs of these systems. Apple wants $1550 for the iMac and $1999 for the MBP.

What do you think?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i personally wouldnt.

for the same price as the mb down the line you could get an imac maybe not 24" (better than that one most likely and would have a better laptop)

something to think about

or do the trade plus cash being like 450 or so. just show the links to him lol

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The grass looks greener, but you don't know what's in the soil.

4. je1ani macrumors 6502

I'd take the AL iMac... price for the 2.16 MBP have REALLY been down... I bought the MBP in my sig for $1600 so you can imagine how much an older model would be. If you can get a the iMac not only will you be able to gauge whether you like it or not but I am sure it has a higher resale value.

5. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I agree with that. Add an iMac down the line. Net result : iMac and MacBook Pro instead of iMac and Macbook

but yeah ;)

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Sounds good to me - newer technology, twice the RAM, bigger HD and more screen. If you don't need the portability, make the switch!

7. noire thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm with you guys on the macbook pro & imac versus plain macbook & imac. Problem is the lack of portability that I mentioned.

Realistically, that purchase down the line could be a macbook or a 15-inch MBP. Just something that's a little easier to tote around than the 17.

je1ani: Yeah, I searched completed ebay auctions for the model that I have, and it looks like the median price is around $1650 (typically without Applecare). So, it's likely that I'd only get ~$1600-1800... which makes the trade a little easier to stomach.

btw: thanks for the input everyone!

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

The day I started using my powerbook was the luckiest day in my computerlife. I still love my iMac G3 but it is such a comfort to have a machine that you can carry with you and do your work wherever you want to. When I'm home it becomes a real 'laptop' and I do some 'work' while watching tv sitting on the coach. I plan to buy a mac pro but i no longer can imagine myself without carrying a laptop.

9. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Denk je niet dat... Dont you think that a laptop is much prettyer and just , you know , can you hook up a keyboard and a mouse and maybe a ACD and boom , desktop. I think some poeple use their laptops as desktops , too!!