Good unknown DS games

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So theres a lot of games on the little dual screen machine. It's getting way to easy to miss out on some of the lesser known gems.

Any recommendations?

2. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

4. pcypert macrumors 6502

Is Tingle unknown?

I think these boards do a good job discussing anything good. Rarely will something be missed. I was just at a game shop here in Bangkok. They have these giant books of DS games...every game possible. There's TONS of crap out there for it (Nacho Libre, Sudokumaniacs, etc).

Paul

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Even though it was critically acclaimed I don't see many people talking about it but Elite Beat Agents is one of my favorite DS games and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan and Ouendan 2 are probably pretty fun games as well (they are the japanese version of EBA) if you have the luxury of importing.

EDIT: I haven't seen many people talk about Dementium The Ward either but it's a pretty good game as well, I play PC shooters all the time and Dementium still managed to impress me, control is tight (probably the best alternative to a mouse+keyboard) and the graphics are great for a DS, it is a fun game, monster designs are a bit silly but the weapons are pretty fun to use and the game throws some nice puzzles and atmosphere your way as well. Definitely worth checking it out though I'm not sure it's out in Europe yet.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Elite Beat Agents!

Also, it's not DS, but play MegaMan Zero like I told you. You'll love it, I especially think you'll like the art style.

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

MAGICAL STARSIGN!!!
    PLAY THE FREAKING GAME!!!
    :D

This and RE4 Wii are the only games I've finished this year.

I forgot about Dragon's Quest! :eek:

Trace Memory was good, but short.

I never played MegaMan Zero, but I've been playing ZX off and on. The game is good, but I was annoyed at first that Capcom obviously had been making it for the GBA -- even 2 years into the DS's life cycle -- and only ported it over as an afterthought.

<]=)

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

IMHO Zero is actually better than ZX; at least in terms of story.

ZX is based off the same engine, but I just find the story to be less engrossing and the level design less inspired and more frustrating.

Also, there's a progressively weakening difficulty level. Zero is harder than Zero 2 which is harder than Zero 3 which is harder than Zero 4 which is harder than MegaMan ZX...ZX still has a decent difficulty curve, but compared to the original MegaMan Zero (which even the first boss can make a grown man cry)...

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

That's good to know. I'm glad that I'm not alone on the level design. It doesn't make any sense from where I stand. I go to where I think the next level will be and it then goes to a completely different level that's not even connected alphabetically.

I'll keep my eye out for Zero.

Play Magical Starsign. :) The game starts out cutesy and has a weird save-your-teacher-plot, but once getting past the build your team part of the game, it's a GREAT RPG. It was designed quite well around the touch screen. It's easily the best RPG I've played on a console in years. I played it over a period of 3 months.

<]=)

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, I had no idea that freaky pedophile had his own game coming. :eek: ;) :D

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, he's had two of his own games released in Japan already. Tingle's Balloon Fight (Balloon Fight with Tingle replacing the main character), and Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (*shivers*).

12. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I like "Feel the Magic XX XY". It's a collection of minigames that make good use of the DS's hardware. Not a hard game, but it's nice to pick up everynow and then. Plus, my girlfriend loves it.

13. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I have to say Bomberman Land Touched has much more return for your money than the average game, as does Picross DS and Advanced Wars DS.

14. masterteddy0 macrumors newbie

that game is so asome! i have every spell for every charter..but i think the fact that the chars can do like 300 damage to like 30 hp monsters at the beginning of the game and on is good..healing wing spell ownes on boss in back row comboed with a suger star...heals everyone tons but because its so hard to get sugar stars i just use that idea on bosses..the wind char owns if she has centrel swap =D