Good UPnP server for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by schpongo, Aug 13, 2011.

1. schpongo macrumors member

Hello i would like to stream content from my macbook to UPnP supported devices (ps3... etc).
    I downloaded the demo for MedialLink which i really like but before spending the 20 bucks i would like to know if there are any solutions out there which offer the same features or more.
    It would be great if the software was free but i could spend up to 30$ (20€).
    Thx for the help.

Danel.K
    from Germany.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you mean a DLNA server, look at the free PS3 Media Server software. It is not pretty, but works well.

3. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

Yes i mean i a DLNA server i looked at the PS3 Media Server and it really doesn't look pretty, but thx anyway.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might want to give it a try. Once you set it up the first time you never use the interface anyway, so who cares what it looks like.

5. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

Ok i give it a try. Is it eays to sync your Itunes library with this program?

6. jtara macrumors 65816

I like Twonky Media Server. I run it on Linux (Kubuntu 11.04). It is available for OSX as well, though. It's not free, but very reasonable.

7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

8. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

If i understand Twonky Media Server correctly i have to upload my music ...etc which is not too good for me because my upload speed isn't that good.

9. robgendreau macrumors 68040

You didn't say exactly what you mean to serve, but a BIG +1 on Playback.

Good support and flawless preformance on my PS3. I watch EyeTV movies, play music, show slideshows, etc. You can easily add drives and other sources, like a hard drive attached to an Airport Express. Works with my directivos as well.

Costs some, but easier to set up than the others. They're up to date on Lion as well (they just issued an update, and when they did they reset the demo period for users testing it. THAT'S good customer relations).

Rob

10. Weaselboy, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Yes, it has settings for both.

11. schpongo, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

schpongo thread starter macrumors member

Thx for the quick answer i will compare all the programs tomorrow but i' m still open to suggestions.
    Did i understand you correctly robgendreau, you have an external HDD connected to your airport express from which you can stream to other devices?

12. schpongo thread starter macrumors member

So i have played around with all of the programs suggested to me.
    I couldn't get the ps3 media server to work ( most probebly because of my incompetence).
    But the other three worked. I don't like that i have to upload my content to the twonky server so this wont be my choice.
    Now the only two real competitors for me are the MediaLink sofware and the Playback software.
    The big downside to MediaLink is that it uses about 70% to a 100& of my cpu if i stream a video which is too much.
    Playback on the other hand only has realtime transcoding for MKV but uses only 10 to 20% of my cpu while streaming a video.
    Now my question is, is there a way to disable the real time transcoding Medialink does because if i want to stream a mp4 i don't need it to be converted and is there a way to hook up an external hdd so playback will recognize it?

13. raftz29 macrumors newbie

Playback

Hi,
    I just want to thank for the posts here. I needed an app to run Itunes on my Bravado radio – I googled for help and just got here. I tried Playback and it's working well. It's not cheap, but, anyway, couldn't find another way to stream from Mac to Bravado. I'm not using for video streaming, just audio, so I don't know if it's ok for mp4, mkv etc. cheers!

14. amblue02 macrumors newbie

I am going to try Playback, just purchased a GD Mondo. One question, I believe I have my iMac setup not to sleep, and have had problems with another UPNP server (Songbox) in waking up my iMac. Does Playback wake your Mac, include iTunes Playlists, and also stream your album cover art?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks. ;)

15. amblue02 macrumors newbie

Just tried Playback and I can answer YES to the 3 questions I had above. Well worth the $15 purchase, thx to the Forum I was able to hear about Playback.

----------

And thanx to Raftz29 for his review. :cool: