Good USB3 2.5" SSD enclosure for OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brdeveloper, Apr 25, 2014.

1. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Hello,

I just bought a SATA enclosure for a 120GB PNY XLR8 SSD. Despite this enclosure works fine on Windows, on Mac it always freezes Finder. Reading around I found that OSX sometimes treats these USB-SATA controllers in a more strict way than Windows, so I'd like to get suggestions of a good USB3/SSD enclosure suitable for Mac.

Thanks!

2. Marty62 macrumors 6502

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I have 6 of the OWC enclosures (5 x USB3 only and 1 x USB3, FW800) and they all work very well:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGS3U3/

4. brdeveloper thread starter macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

5. brdeveloper thread starter macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Here's a second recommendation for the Inateck enclosure as mentioned in reply #2 above.

Works fine for me.

7. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

And isn't UASP, the single most important feature when booting the OS off an SSD via USB.

If aluminum is your thing, Inateck is soon to be shipping an aluminum UASP enclosure in the US as well for about $3 more. :)

Why? I don't think they even make UASP enclosures and I'm quite sure the enclosures they do make are priced a lot higher.

9. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

OWC only mention that they use the ASMedia 1051e chipset, but I've used one of their Mercury On-The-Go Pro enclosures with an SSD and it tested in excess of 360MB/sec read/write.

As for price, I don't think $29.99 is that much more expensive than the enclosure you're constantly evangelising :)

10. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

The one I linked to isn't aluminum, it was stainless steel. Stainless steel stays colder then other metals (In fact, it's always cold to the touch) and will keep your usb device living longer, even though it's not uasp..

11. g4cube macrumors 6502a

This is because Stainless Steel is a poor conductor of heat when compared to aluminum. The aluminum will extract and radiate the heat quicker than stainless.

12. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Which means the aluminum will keep your SSD cooler and perhaps extend its life.

13. SaSaSushi, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014

SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

So the Inateck is at least 15% faster. UASP is a game-changer. I have to assume if the OWC devices supported it, they'd advertise it.

It's 40% more expensive. Better performance at a 40% lower price seems like a pretty good deal to me. :)

If by evangelizing you mean recommending, I suppose the same could be said for your tireless OWC promotions. :p

For the record, I think the Inateck UASP enclosure is a really nice little device that I do own, but am not currently using.

I decided to stick with a Thunderbolt enclosure for its TRIM support. Still, as UASP USB3 enclosures go, it's hard to beat Inateck for price/performance and quality.