Good use of Touch Bar - screenshots

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gr2020, Nov 18, 2016.

1. gr2020 macrumors member

I often take screenshots on my Mac, sometimes with Skitch, and other times just using Cmd+Shift+4 and friends. I always forget the modifiers (e.g. add Ctrl for something)...but today after pressing Cmd+Shift+4, the touch bar came up with some options, which is just what I needed at the time:

[​IMG]

Very handy, and unexpected!

Anyone else found cool unexpected touch bar features?

2. justywusty macrumors regular

justywusty

I just saw this today while running the touch bar simulator...useful indeed! Can't wait.

3. azntaiji macrumors member

Yes! I do a lot of reports which requires a lot of screenshotting - both to clipboard and saved as a file.

This feature has been a lifesaver! Beats the awkward 4 finger key combo

4. webberade macrumors member

webberade

As a designer this is going to be so useful! Thanks for the tip!

5. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I like the shortcut as well. I am really enjoying the touchbar. It will only get better.

6. fokmik macrumors 68000

i think 2 years from now, we will not be able to live without our touchbar and i wonder what they will do next with the upcoming macOS !

7. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

As developers get chance to play around with the technology and Apple themselves explore it further I think we will see some truly amazing changes to our workflow and it's everyday functionality.

They've done this before with things like the Apple Watch... although I much preferred the looks of my Gear S2 Classic the Apple Watch Series 2 just blows it away in functionality, we'll see this and more with the TouchBar :)

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

That's really cool! I too am firmly entrenched in the camp that thinks the Touch Bar will be wildly popular and very useful. Thank you for sharing this feature! It helps pass the time for those of us waiting.

9. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

These options would slow me down and don't offer me anything. I hit 3, it saves the a full screen shot to the desktop. I hit 4, I just need to drag a marquee.

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

And those functions are still there. You won't be slowed down one millisecond. The Touch Bar simply displays options as you go. It doesn't stop the show and require input before you can continue.

11. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

I didn't know the shortcuts existed. There I was like a sucker opening up the Grab app....

12. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I am opposite to you, i only knew about the shortcuts and after reading your comment I have only just learnt of the existence of the Grab App. I feel ashamed.

13. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Now, is there a way to do a "screenshot" of the Touch Bar? ;)

14. Tayljones6 macrumors member

I added move to trash option that I'm liking.

Select a file customize touch bar right side

15. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

For me the calculator will be great since I always miss the multiplication or division signs

16. chabig macrumors 68040

17. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

18. chabig macrumors 68040

Cmd-shift-3 saves a picture of the screen
    Cmd-shift-4 saves a picture of a selected area
    Adding the control key to either puts the result on the clipboard instead of saving it.

New: Cmd-shift-6 saves a picture of the touch bar.
    Adding the control key puts it on the clipboard as with 'regular' screenshots.

19. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Ohhhhhhkay, cool. As usual, the simpler explanation (like yours) makes more sense.

20. gr2020 thread starter macrumors member

Here's a surprisingly good 7-min video from 9to5mac with some tips and tricks for the touch bar - worth a watch, I learned a couple of new things!

21. stevefeinstein macrumors member

Yes, use the grap.app. It's an option in there.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017 ---
    I don't know if this is a bug or feature. I chose to save to clipboard using the touch bar, and now ALL screen captures go to the clipboard and never to a file no matter if I use the control key or not. ⌘-SHIFT-3 should save a file on my desktop, but it just copies the screen to the clipboard.

I have yet to figure out how to reset this.