Good video camera for Final Cut Pro X...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoeMc, May 30, 2012.

1. JoeMc macrumors newbie

Hello to all,

I am new to Macs. I have purchased a Mac OS X desktop recently and Final Cut Pro X. I would like to make a semi-professional documentary. I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a good quality MAC / FCP X compatible camera (under $1000). It would be best if the recommendation is from personal experience. The Mac website has a list of compatible cameras but it is like information overload. My friend recommended this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-HF100-D...162K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338386314&sr=8-1

Any suggestions or advice? Thank you in advance.... Joe

2. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Not jumping on your case or anything, but asking for camera recommendations that work w/ FCPX is like asking what car is compatible with gasoline. Pretty much anything.

Now to quickly get to the issue, is depth of field something you want? Do want the "cinema" feel? Do you want large focal lengths? Do you plan on recording continuous shots? For under 1K, I'd probably recommend just a DSLR (t3i or wait for t4i). You might be able to find some decent used camcorders, but for a decent camcorder your looking at least 1.5k used. Those that have them can correct me.

Now personally, I use T2i and a couple of my friends do also. A friend who does it as part of his job a smaller design firm uses a T3i. It simply does what they want and it fits their needs. When a need for a "big boy" camcorder, they simply rent. Otherwise they got a boom, lighting, reflectors, etc.... I'd just get a used T2i if I was you. Get used to it, get comfortable in understanding how it works, get a few jobs, them upgrade to 7D or 5DMII or heck, save up for a camcorder. If you go DSLR route, just make sure to have an external audio recorder. I've used Tascam DR-100 and it works great, paired w/ a boom mic of course.

3. iAppleseed macrumors regular

"It's not with what you shoot with, it's how you shoot it"

Some people made a really professional looking videos on YouTube with just the iPhone 4 and the 4S. It's about the angle, the panning, the color grading.

For a DSLR, I recommend the Canon T3i. But I still think the 4S will do just fine.

4. JoeMc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies... I want to make a documentary about my son's death. I want it to look like something a person would stay interested in and watch. I don't want bad audio/video to be responsible for turning people off to watching. And I agree that it is more important who is behind the camera, than the camera... I am going to research your suggestions... I'm new to all of this. Thank you again...