Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skippee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2002
San Francisco
Does anyone know of any good Video Capture devices out there for the Mac? Preferably one that's not too expensive. It's just for home use not for proffesional use.

TIA

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Re: Good Video Capture Device...

Originally posted by skippee
Does anyone know of any good Video Capture devices out there for the Mac? Preferably one that's not too expensive. It's just for home use not for proffesional use.

TIA

from what kind of source?
Camcorder, cable, VHS, live feed, beta :rolleyes: ???

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Re: Re: Re: Good Video Capture Device...

Originally posted by skippee

RCA cable from VCR

what kind of mac do you have?

if its older there's RCA built in....if not there's a few ways....as for cheap and comsumer level I'll try and get back to you with something tommorrow when I can think...

skippee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2002
San Francisco
Re: Re: Re: Re: Good Video Capture Device...

Originally posted by teabgs

what kind of mac do you have?

if its older there's RCA built in....if not there's a few ways....as for cheap and comsumer level I'll try and get back to you with something tommorrow when I can think...

It's one of the new iMacs. Thanks a lot.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
There are a few options available to you, if you have the means...

You could try an analogue-to-digital converter, like a Hollywood DV-Bridge (http://www.dazzle.com), which retails @ £300, or a Formac Studio with a built-in TV tuner @ £350 (http://www.formac.com). These are high-end devices that plug into your FireWire port - and have the ability to give you full screen high-resolution captures, as well as offering you the ability to monitor your work on a TV. Although a bit on the expensive side, they are invaluable for giving the best results, and are iMovie and Final Cut Pro compatible.

If you've got a camcorder, or are in the market to buy one, you can use that - most Mini-DV camcorders have an analogue in/out in addition to a DV in/out (i.e. the Sony DCR-PC100 or similar). Yet another expensive option - but worth it if you like to make home videos.

For a low-end result, there are a few USB devices out there (but be warned - they only give you postage-stamped size images, and are intended as a fix for people showing stuff on the web). iRez put out the Capsure - a USB video import device priced at £100. And Eskape Labs (http://www.eskapelabs.com) put out the MyTV unit which takes an external video source via USB - and also gives you a TV tuner to boot, so you can watch what's on the box as you surf... That's priced around £120.

P.S. - sorry about using £'s, but I'm sure it will give you a rough idea of pricing.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Dazzle is a good consumer (read: cheap) solution.

Just don't use the software that comes with it. The PC apps suck hard.

Good thing you have iMovie.:)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
kiwi_the_iwik pretty much hit the nail on the head. Sony, Canopus, Formac, and Dazzle all make analog-to-digital/digital-to-analog converters. They all cost about the same ($260-$300 US) and there isn't really one that out shines the others (especially for what you are looking for).

Unfortunetly there aren't many options for video capture on the Mac (at any level).

And USB devices, IMO, are just worthless.

Lethal

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Very true. Spend the coin and do it right the first time. You will save money.

The firewire box is really the only solution.

Sorry. I've been researching for months. I bought internal PCI cards(IxMicro) and ended up reselling on ebay because the formac box was just a better solution.

USB is complete junk.

C-

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Get the Canopus, is not as fancy as the Hollywood bridge but I have heard is more reliable. The Hollywod Bridge (Dazzle) has a problem with the analog video imput.

I'm gonna get the Canopus ??? 100 this next week. It is $300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.