Good video editing software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blakefire, Nov 13, 2011.

1. blakefire macrumors newbie

So I recently tried After Effects and it was to complicated and was slow. I was wondering if there is a program out there for video editing? I like Imovie but it have some limitions that get in my way. I've tried finalcut pro but it didn't work for me, these video are of games IE Mac, Xbox, etc. A bonus would be it's free. :p

2. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

the videos you are editing are of game play? and how did final cut or Imovie not do what you needed?

3. craigsharp macrumors regular

The easiest video editing software I have ever found was free from microsoft... MovieMaker!!! So easy... and it has all the coolest transitions and special effects...

/sarcasm

Seriously though... how could Final Cut Pro not do what you need? Most likely op illegally dl'd and has absolutely no idea how to use it...

4. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

imovie can be leveraged very nicely.

look up 'set up imovie like final cut pro' on youtube and that may change your mind.

5. RonsMac macrumors newbie

I'm not a fan of iMovie either. I've used Final Cut Express a lot and don't like how it always has to render. I tried Adobe Premier Elements and thought it was great. Had a good amount of features and was easy to use but probably not for pros. There is a free trial at their site so nothing lost if you don't like it no big deal.

6. jackrv macrumors 6502

After Effects is not an editing suite. Premiere is. If you got a copy of AE, I assume you have Premiere. AE is a compositing program, but "can" do editing as well. Premiere is a video editor.

However, if it seems too much to learn, iMovie can do pretty much do ANY basic video editing task, plus it is very easy to learn. If you say it "got in your way", what exactly was your issue? There may be a solution you haven't found yet.

7. blakefire thread starter macrumors newbie

I know how to use FC. The issue was it rendered poorly or I did something wrong.... Anyway, I like Imovie but I wanted something a little more suitable for editing, Imovie was missing somethings, or I just dont know how to use it lol, like add a video onto a picture and re-size the video to a smaller size, stuff like that.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you know how to use FC, you'd be able to do anything you want. You just need to take the time to buckle down and learn it.

iMovie may be too basic for you and there isn't really anything in between that and FC.

To say it gets in your way, it sounds more like you don't know how to use it.

9. blakefire thread starter macrumors newbie

I know how to use it. It's just lacking some features. Like adding a photo and stuff like I mentioned before.

10. simsaladimbamba

There is no "After Effects Pro" and "Avid Xpress Pro", as the latter has been discontinued and the former never existed.

OP, the videos you have are probably in the wrong format, thus the problems you have in FCP.
    Do you know about proper editing formats and codecs? And which version of FCP are you talking about?

11. blakefire thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorta never went in depth with it. As for the version not sure I havent opened it for a while.

12. nerdo macrumors regular

I think your real problem is you can't be bothered to learn the software but expect pro results. Google for some FCP basic tuts and learn to use it, you won't be disappointed. Same goes for any software you want to use that does more then iMovie.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's exactly what I am thinking.

14. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

For a rather nontraditional video editing program, try Photoshop Extended. I've actually used it for a couple of things rather than iMovie because I couldn't figure out how to get iMovie to do the cropping and compositing that I wanted. I wasn't editing normal video but rather screencasts and trying to crop to the piece I was doing.

15. StructAural macrumors regular

I like the latest version of Premier Pro, it's fast with multiprocessors compared with Final Cut Pro 7 and simple to use and does what the OP wants to do.

Also plays well with After Effects.

16. blakefire thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

17. martva macrumors newbie

Maybe the upcoming Mac version of Lightworks will do the trick for you.

18. benlinus121 macrumors newbie

VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms (98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video.

19. harrisnl macrumors newbie

+1. Premier is great.

20. simsaladimbamba

You go around resurrecting old threads and answer in Windows-only mode, then upon being called, you come back without an answer, but post a Mac OS X solution.

What is the matter with you? Is this some kind of advanced spamming?