Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
So, I have a pc running Win 7 connected to my tv.
I use it for videos (media. Player. Classic) and browser video like Huku or Netflix.

I have a vnc server running on it...tightvnc currently, previously ultravnc, and connect to it from one of my macs to control it.

I'd like to use my iPad.

I've tried vnc lite with some limited success. Other ones don't seem to connect at all.

For this kind of limited use, I'd prefer free or cheap apps.

Can anyone make a suggestion on how best to proceed? Either an app... Or a whole other remote system, perhaps?

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
It's definitely not free, but it's the BEST app for controlling either a Mac *or* PC that I've used - LogMeIn Ignition. It costs $30, but is *well* worth it. I only need the basics myself, so I created a free Logmein account (they have subscription-based accounts also, like if you're at a remote location you can log in to access a file and print it to your local printer, stuff like that.)

I don't need to use it often, but when I do, it's extremely easy, and you can set the display resolution/colors used in case it's a little slow (which it normally isn't.)

I had tried a few VNC apps but they were all dreadfully slow compared to Logmein :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.