Good way to synch mac pro with macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by firstyearprof, Jan 7, 2008.

1. firstyearprof macrumors member

Hi all,

Any thoughts on the best way to synchronize a new mac pro (coming after the putative update in a week) with my macbook pro? I would like to partition the mac pro's drive and have one partition be identical to my laptop. On the other partition, I would place large files, etc., that I don't want to store on my laptop. Oh yeah, I also plan on putting parallels on the mac pro, so I'm not sure if that will require yet another partition.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Best...

2. krunk macrumors regular

The best "do it yourself way" is with a bi-directional sync'ing solution like Unison.

The easiest/most reliable way I've run into is .Mac.

Here's the main reason .Mac is more user friendly then other sync'ing solutions (both gui and cli) that I've tried. Most sync'ing is based on filenames. If you open Mail on one computer *before* sync'ing it will grab new emails and assign them a file name that is the same as an email on the other machine.

Most sync'rs will see this as the same file, but changed and raise a conflict where you choose which version to keep. However, .Mac uses Sync Services. It will recognize them as two different emails and gracefully merge it with sync'd emails from the other machine.