Good Windows video editors (on Boot Camp)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dandeco, May 13, 2012.

1. dandeco macrumors regular

Since I often do quite a bit of video production, I thought I'd share a few suggestions on if you want to edit video on the Boot Camp partition of an Intel Mac, or if you have a powerful Windows PC that would be suitable for it. (My early 2009 MacBook has a decent Windows 7 partition that usually is pretty good with video editing.) These are the ones that I have used, and my critiques on them, on both regular PCs and on my MacBook (for Boot Camp, I strongly recommend this being on any Intel Mac that doesn't have a wimpy Intel GMA graphics chip (like the old Intel Mac Minis and MacBooks.)

WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER
    Just about every PC user has used this for home movie purposes at one time or another. Nowadays it's actually pretty generic, in terms of the final product, but is useful for some things. Windows Movie Maker 6 on Vista is more slick, but it can't capture from a webcam or an analog video source like Windows Movie Maker 2 on XP could (that was one of my favorite features.) Windows 7 users that want a decent free timeline-based editing program can download Windows Movie Maker 2.6, which is basically the Windows XP Movie Maker without capturing.

WINDOWS LIVE MOVIE MAKER
    I've tried this a few times, and it's kind of baffling. Pretty much a cheap knockoff of the later iMovie programs, and with lesser video effect/transition capabilities.

PINNACLE STUDIO PLUS/ULTIMATE
    This is actually pretty similar to iMovie HD 6 in terms of features, but has some more useful "prosumer" utilities as well. You'd need a lot of horsepower to run it though (there are many reviewers from people who tried running Studio on "average" PCs and the program often malfunctioned.) It can even directly capture analog video without the need of a FireWire converter (you would use an analog video capture card or one of Pinnacle's USB MovieBox or Dazzle Video Creator devices.) It also has picture-in-picture/Chromakey built in (the old iMovie needed third-party plugins for this), some pretty good video transitions and effects and image improvement control, an excellent title editor, a built-in stock music generator and a really good built-in DVD authoring module. It supports two video tracks and four audio tracks (again, similar to iMovie '11), and it also has its own title/graphic-overlay track. It also has background rendering for its effects and transitions (again, like iMovie HD.) It can compress/export movie files for use on iPods, various mobile devices and more (it even has direct YouTube upload like post-2007 iMovie versions do!)
    There is also "Avid Studio," a more upscale/prosumer version with support for unlimited video/audio tracks, more transitions and effects and editing options, and more (this is more closer to a "consumer" version of Final Cut Pro X.)

ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS
    It currently also comes in a Mac version, and is almost like a consumer version of Premiere Pro or Final Cut Express (complete with 99 video/audio tracks.) Again, you'd need a powerful PC to run it. It even has "themes" and a stock music generator similar to the one Pinnacle Studio comes with (the Mac version has an SE version of SmartSound SonicFire included!)

SONY VEGAS MOVIE STUDIO PLATINUM
    This one has a somewhat different interface, and is pretty much like a consumer version of Vegas Pro. It has 10 video tracks and 10 audio tracks, along with an excellent selection of transitions, video and audio effects. One really nice feature is that the effects and edits can be done in real-time, almost like iMovie '11. It even has batch capture/scene detection, which is rarely found on consumer editing applications (Final Cut Pro X doesn't even have this yet!) Again, it has a wide variety of export options and formats, even direct YouTube upload. It also comes with DVD Architect Studio for decent DVD authoring (though I don't like it as much as iDVD or Studio's DVD-authoring tools.)

COREL VIDEOSTUDIO PRO
    Corel bought this from Ulead, and often pairs it up with their excellent Paint Shop Pro software (from Jasc, it's almost as full-featured as Photoshop!) It's very similar to Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum in terms of features (complete with batch capture/scene detection), but has a more consumer-oriented interface that is very similar to iMovie HD. It even has "Smart Proxy" for when working with high-definition video, creating temporary "lighter" dummy files of your HD video clips to edit on, then when rendering, it would apply the same edits and stuff to the real HD video files. Its built-in DVD authoring isn't as good, though.

CYBERLINK POWERDIRECTOR
    I have worked with this a few times, and it's pretty good. Again, it's very similar to Pinnacle Studio Ultimate and Sony Vegas Movie Studio, and it even includes a built-in rudimentary photo editor and some other fun features. Cyberlink also includes it in some of their media/disc-creation bundles, often paired with Cyberlink PowerProducer, designed for extensive DVD creation (PowerDirector can author DVDs, but they aren't as good, and both programs can be linked together for a full video/DVD production suite.)

NERO VIDEO
    Formerly called "NeroVision," this comes with the Nero disc-burning suite (a favorite in our family.) The original NeroVision version was basically a Windows version of iMovie HD, but recent versions have added more video/audio tracks and wider file import/export support, along with other enhancements. It also has a very good DVD-burning utility (back when it was NeroVision, it was designed more at DVD creation, hence the more simpler iMovie-esque video editor.)

And then there are the professional programs, like Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas Pro, which all pretty much do the same things in their own ways, and have WAY more features than the consumer programs listed above.

Just felt like sharing.

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Heck Premiere Pro CS6 runs great on our BootCamps here ;)