good windshield car mount?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by entrecote, Mar 12, 2011.

1. entrecote macrumors newbie

looking for a good windshield car mount that i could reach the iphone while driving (gps etc.)

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

3. entrecote thread starter macrumors newbie

one that also doesnt leave scratches and doesnt swing on bumpers

4. TJone macrumors 6502a

Another vote for Ram-mount. They are well designed and strong.

[​IMG]

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

While neither visually appealing or produced by a well known company, I'm going with this one from eBay. Looks like it'll do the trick for me without spending too much money for this thing. I need one that will work with a case and this was the only one I found that fit the bill without being too ridiculously expensive..

[​IMG]

6. TJone macrumors 6502a

It looks like that should work for what you need. The Ram universal cell phone mount would also work for you too but is expensive. I think I paid about $35 just for the universal mount but already had the mounting arm so and bracket from an earlier project.

7. entrecote thread starter macrumors newbie

is there anything recommended that is cheaper than the ram mount? (~35$ not including shipment)

8. ImStrapped macrumors member

9. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

10. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Hi guys, back from a very long break

I made a custom holder using a ram mount + Proclip holder + 30 pin passthrough cable + Apple av cable + 7" LCD

[​IMG]

I will be making a lot of DIY, guides and reviews as soon as I get some free time (maybe this weekend)

11. Viserie macrumors newbie

12. TJone macrumors 6502a

Nice work - that looks great! Can you get simple audio out through the 30 pin connector? I would like to not use the top audio cable if I could get audio from the 30 pin connector so it would look a little cleaner. If not that is fine too - I am not too concerned since it is a Jeep and I am not overly concerned about getting everything to look perfect.

13. Ess.Pee, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

Ess.Pee macrumors newbie

In my personal opinion, two best windshield mounts are Ram-mounts as per link above, and Herbert Richter.

14. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Wow, what did you screw into your dash over here?!

Attached Files:

• tmp.jpg
      tmp.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
  15. sjdigital macrumors regular

Navigon mount

I needed to get a screen mount for my iPhone to use it as a sat nav in a rental car on an upcoming vacation and opted for this one. I use Brodit Proclips in my own car(s) but thought this was a neat device for those occasions when you need to use another vehicle and want to use your phone as a sat nav. Haven't received it yet but it looks good.

16. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Previous Iphone ram mount location , I have the correct color vynil to fill in the holes, just been busy

[​IMG]

Before it was more out of the way, but not as useful/safe of a location to keep looking down now that I use my iphone as a secondary display

Top screen Traffic and music controls
    Bottom screen Larger street map

17. jasonmanning macrumors member

This is why god gave bluetooth to the people

18. TJone macrumors 6502a

Haha - bluetooth would be nice but I for now I don't mind the extra wire and I don't want to upgrade my radio until I manage to break the one I have. The install could be cleaner but it is fine for now.

19. Ess.Pee macrumors newbie

If you wanted a more permanent installation, have you thought about using Brodit holder with Brodit ProClip? If you're after Brodit products, that ProClipUSA is the place on your side of the pond so I've been told.