Good Wireless solution for an iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Apple fanboy, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I was in the apple shop on Friday asking about the benefits of airport Extreme verses airport express. He said I would need to update my router to be able to make use of either of these options. I currently have a Broadband Wireless G ADSL2+ Router HUAWEI EchoLife HG520b that came free with my ISP (TalkTalk) which is connected to my PC via an Ethernet cable. I then use the WiFi signal for my iPhone, iPod, iPad and apple TV. We also have a netbook and Laptop that get very little use. I am planning to get an imac when they release the next model and was going to buy a Timecapsule at the same time. The router and iMac will live upstairs in my study and the apple TV is directly below in the lounge and has been having airplay issues due to my signal strength. Can anybody advise if this router will work with the timecapsule or do I need to buy a new one? If so any recommendations?
    Lastly another possibility is I change ISP provider and get either a Virgin or BT super hub. has anybody got any good or bad experiences with either of these companies and their routers?

2. wickedking94 macrumors 6502

From what I understand, you modem has a built in wireless router, and you want to know if it will work with a time capsule?

If that's the case, Time Capsule has a build in AirPort Extreme wireless router, you could simply turn off the wireless on your modem and connect the time capsule to your modem via Ethernet and use the time capsule's AirPort Extreme for all your wireless needs.

3. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Would this improve my signal strength or should I buy an airport express for the lounge as well? I'm not the most technically minded when it comes to home networks etc.

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

You could purchase an Airport Express to extend the range of your wireless network from the Airport Extreme. This would provide adequate signal strength for the Apple TV, particularly if you have the AEexp downstairs, and the Extreme upstairs. The network can be extended wirelessly, or via a Roaming network. The latter will provide better results.
    Some time back, there was a great thread on extending the range of a wireless network. It explains the difference of the "wireless" v. the "Roaming" setup/advantages.:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1143865

5. wickedking94 macrumors 6502

Well I have a basic linksys router and it covers both floors of my fairly large house, and from what I understand AirPort Extreme is like the best of the best when it comes to routers, so I think just the AirPort Extreme should be enough.

I would just get the time capsule/airport extreme and see how well that works before spending extra money on an AirPort Express.