Good workflow to sync 10 articles I'm reading w/ notes & marks between iPad & iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by fruitninja, Nov 19, 2014.

1. fruitninja macrumors regular

fruitninja

Here is my intended workflow to read web articles in iBooks:

I 'Save As...' HTML pages from the browser, convert HTML -> EPUB with Calibre, upload EPUB files to iTunes; sync them to iOS device #1; so far so good. As I am reading, taking notes and bookmarks, some time I want to change devices and pick up my reading where I left off.

I understand iTunes Home Sharing is the way to go for similar ventures with music & video but as far as I know it is not possible to sync iBooks in a similar fashion anymore.

Now what?

Please note I don't have these two devices yet; consider it as a pre-sales question (my knowledge may not be 100% correct).

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I'm not sure how syncing such stuff works in iBooks, but it works pretty good with the Amazon Kindle app.

1. Convert to MOBI instead of EPUB in Calibre.
    2. Email the MOBI files to your personal Kindle document library (free)
    3. Download the MOBI to your various devices within the Kindle app on each (iOS, Android, or actual Kindle hardware devices.)
    4. Bookmarks, highlights, notes are saved, as well as current reading progress.

So I think you can do all you need to do via these steps (please note you have to first upload the files to your personal Amazon library, otherwise there will be no sync.)

3. fruitninja thread starter macrumors regular

fruitninja

Yes; I was aware of the fact it is possible with 3rd party apps like the Kindle app.

I was curious though if it can be done with an in house Apple solution and if not what is the reason Apple is letting others win in this filed on its platform.

Thanks for the tip!

4. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

You have to accept the Sync prompt on first use of iBooks use and then all your books plus bookmarks are synced across devices using same account

5. fruitninja thread starter macrumors regular

fruitninja

Do you mean this? http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4227
    Awesome.

And this works via iTunes Home Sharing? If I understand it.

It would be more logical to me if I deleted from one device it automatically deletes from the other as well. I mean, who needs 10+ articles I already read and deleted on one device to be still hanging around on the other? It just adds confusion. Maybe I just don't understand the Apple way/logic here. ;)

----------

Side question: who provides the built-in dictionary to iBooks? A Google search did not reveal it. Kindle has the New Oxford American Dictionary, which I am very satisfied with. Something to consider.

6. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Havent tested it but I believe when you delete, it should prompt that it will be deleted from the cloud and hence all your devices. If not, then I guess deletions are left to individual devices.

It uses standard dictionary process via iOS and you can add multiple via clicking define on any word and then 'Manage'. New oxford american is available on list for downloads.