Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Derby, England
Here's a thought people (clearly my night shift was slow)

I'm sure that with wireless sync & pc free goodness in iOS 5 we are going to see the end of Apple shipping idevices with the docking cable

The pc free thing is the big indicater as if it's going to be the only device people have why would they need it

Lots of money saved !

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

I'm sure that with wireless sync & pc free goodness in iOS 5 we are going to see the end of Apple shipping idevices with the docking cable

The pc free thing is the big indicater as if it's going to be the only device people have why would they need it

Lots of money saved !

Not a chance. They probably make a killing charging people USD19.00 for something that costs them cents to make. Plus, how else would we charge the phone?

tahoeroscoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
California
Not a chance. They probably make a killing charging people USD19.00 for something that costs them cents to make. Plus, how else would we charge the phone?

witricity, inductive charging, etc.

i dont think it will happen with iphone 5 but it will happen. The cables are notorious for breaks/malfunctions and i'm sure apple would love to get rid of the hassle. Plus it's kinda cool to have a little computer in your pocket that can do all the cool **** it does and never needs to be plugged into anything... ever.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Naturally, once inductive charging and wireless headphones are cheap/reliable enough Apple will murder cables and ports. Not soon though.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
witricity, inductive charging, etc.

i dont think it will happen with iphone 5 but it will happen. The cables are notorious for breaks/malfunctions and i'm sure apple would love to get rid of the hassle. Plus it's kinda cool to have a little computer in your pocket that can do all the cool **** it does and never needs to be plugged into anything... ever.

Inductive charging is slow though. Most people would rather plug their phone in for 30 mins than sit their phone on a charging pad for 5 hours, not to mention it's not really convenient to use your phone while it's charging inductively.

The other side of this is data transfer. Wireless syncing seems slower than wired syncing, and with Thunderbolt, wired syncing could be even faster (assuming Apple implements it.)

Lastly, you mentioned the hassle of cables breaking. Assuming each cable cost them $1 to make (which is probably a generous estimate), Apple stands to make 1900% profit on each one sold when they break. Does it still seem like such an inconvenience?

Tubig

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
Inductive charging is slow though. Most people would rather plug their phone in for 30 mins than sit their phone on a charging pad for 5 hours, not to mention it's not really convenient to use your phone while it's charging inductively.

I beg to differ, my previous phone was a Palm Pixi + that I used exclusively with a TouchStone charger. I think the charger drew 1amp compared to the .5amps of your typical USB. It probably wasn't good for the battery to get charged so fast, but I had 6 to switch from lol.

Charging in the car was a breeze, everything was hard wired and you simply just stick the phone on the magnetized base and it starts to charge. Though the Pixi+ was a small and light phone, I think Apple can improve the design and make it work with upcoming models.

The Palm/HP Touchstone docks were the only thing that kept me from switching to a new phone for quite some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpfQSLBezn4

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Without a dock connector, how do you plan to actually dock a device on something like an audio system? You could use WiFi or Bluetooth to transfer data, but then you're going to need to keep that battery charged. As someone who uses his phone in a car dock -- when it's not so hot that the thing won't stay attached for five seconds -- I don't see how I'm supposed to work around that.

I don't know how fast inductive charging is, but it's probably not as fast as USB. With Apple throwing down heavily on Thunderbolt, I'm thinking it's more likely that the next iPhone supports the dock connector and plugs into a Thunderbolt port. I'm pretty sure every new Mac has that port, and it carries more power than USB.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

Lots of money saved !

Why would they stop shipping the phone with a charging cable?

Don't be ridiculous.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
There's a thousand dock manufacturers out there that would be affected as well. The dock connector ain't going anywhere.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Dock is also required for external HDMI or VGA connector. I'm sure the dock will survive the next generation (2 or 3). Ask us again in 3 years. Might be dock free.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is being asked every week or so! Seriously is the search function on the forum broken??

30 pin dock makes apple millions of pounds in licensing fees they will not be dumping it any time soon!

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

Lots of money saved !

Lots of money lost from third party licensing fees.
Forcing all third parties to have wireless charging and connectivity
no HDMI connection,lower quality audio/video
Wireless solutions are all MUCH,MUCH more expensive
Much more,not really worth addressing this theory it's so ridiculous

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Lastly, you mentioned the hassle of cables breaking. Assuming each cable cost them $1 to make (which is probably a generous estimate), Apple stands to make 1900% profit on each one sold when they break. Does it still seem like such an inconvenience?

This is it.

Plus throw in the fees Apple charges to other manufacturers to make all sorts of devices that use the dock connector and Apple would lose so much money.

One day the port might go, but right now the alternatives simply aren't developed enough.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
wow Apple to cheap to ship a $1 cable really I doubt that!

They were to cheap to continue shipping the 5 cent cleaning cloth and the 2 cent sim card extractor so they would be rubbing their hands with glee about saving a buck.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
They were to cheap to continue shipping the 5 cent cleaning cloth and the 2 cent sim card extractor so they would be rubbing their hands with glee about saving a buck.

Those were freebies though, they weren't for sale anywhere, where as the charging cable is for sale, as well as the 30 pin connector that they licence to accessory manufacturers for a fee.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
while inductive charging would be cool, you would have to outfit your Car/Office/Home with chargers. not as easy as getting cheap dock connector cables and utilizing USB everywhere to charge....expensive proposition to get rid of dock connector....not to mention that the issues they have internationally regarding charging standards will make then at least include micro-usb as a charging solution.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I don't see them ditching the dock connector, for the simple reason that micro USB doesn't carry analogue video or audio

rb76

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Salford, UK

I've just looked in my iPhone 4 box... it's got a little cleaning cloth and the little SIM ejector pin in there (I assume the pin thing is what you mean by SIM extractor tool). Bought my iPhone 4 last September... when did they stop putting those items in the box?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I think they're gonna continue with the 30-pin dock cable.

Those things maybe have production costs of $1 a piece to make+ship to stores, and they sell for a LOT more than that. They make loads of money on them.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
I've just looked in my iPhone 4 box... it's got a little cleaning cloth and the little SIM ejector pin in there (I assume the pin thing is what you mean by SIM extractor tool). Bought my iPhone 4 last September... when did they stop putting those items in the box?

Never? I got my iPhone this June lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.