iPhone XS Goodbye Apple

fate0311

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
(no but really...just hear me out...)

So as an engineer who has been immersed in the MAC world my entire adult life, I finally had to come to face with reality that I needed a workstation laptop for the type of work I do.

So I ordered myself a Thinkpad, sold the MBP and now I sit with an iPhone still.

Wanted to ask the community, should I keep it, any reason not to? Or should I be swapping it for a non Apple based OS phone?

Is the iPhone pointless when the integration of having their other devices is gone?

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
The iphone on its own is still decent, though tons of beauty comes from the tight integration. With that being said, I respect your choice and believe Apple will not bother to cater some engineers and optimise the mac for their workflow.

You can keep your iphone or sell it in exchange for an android device, though to be honest, at this point, all the android beauty has either reduced or gone, and both ios and android are merging in features in many ways.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Have you ever experienced android before? If not, it’s a completely different entity and platform. The thing with the iPhone, is it offers stability, fluidity and security. Those are three factors that I don’t think android offers that the iPhone does. In the end, android would never be an option for me, simply because how consistent the iPhone/iOS is. [FYI, you don’t need to have multiple Apple products to stay in their ecosystem, the iPhone is still a core product even if you don’t own any other Apple products.]

Last edited:

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007

So as an engineer who has been immersed in the MAC world my entire adult life, I finally had to come to face with reality that I needed a workstation laptop for the type of work I do.

So I ordered myself a Thinkpad, sold the MBP and now I sit with an iPhone still.

Wanted to ask the community, should I keep it, any reason not to? Or should I be swapping it for a non Apple based OS phone?

Is the iPhone pointless when the integration of having their other devices is gone?
The fact that you sold your MacBook Pro means you don’t feel the need of Apple’s ecosystem/integration. The leaves the iPhone as a phone by itself. To be frank, with iCloud, the iPhone can be a great standalone device.

So I don’t see why you should sell the iPhone unless it’s broken or something. If you want something that can integrate well with Windows like Macs and iPhones, well, that doesn’t exist. Android lives totally in the cloud of Google’s own service. Microsoft keeps trying to offer some sort of integration of Windows with Android, but so far it feels half baked. But if you can live inside the Chrome browser, however, then Android can be nicely “integrated.”

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I'd say the iPhone is viable as many people's only device – compared to computers of the past, it's a pocket-sized supercomputer.

(I have to say, I still struggle to understand how someone who's been immersed in the Mac world their entire adult life can spell "Mac" in full uppercase. Apple has never done this. I think it's a broader cultural thing – I've seen it before – but I've yet to find out exactly what the deal is.)

Infinite Vortex

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
I would suck it and see. At the end of the day you're not locked in to an ecosystem any more either way so you simply need to salute the iPhone as a standalone phone. There is one advantage to your combination (iOS and Windows) vs mine (Android and Mac) is that iCloud for Windows does exist so there might be enough data integration for you there to be happy to stick with the iPhone.

Personally, I don't ever feel the need to connect my phone (whether it be an iPhone or Android phone) to my computer as everything goes between the 2 via "the cloud". It's just which cloud that happens to be. And in the worst case I can just stick a storage device (or other) into the USB-C port into my Android phone and I'm off to the races.

As an OS there are plusses and minuses to both… it's more a matter of what suits you better. You're now in the best place where you have choice of any phone on the market rather than realistically a choice one… an iPhone.

YaBe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2017
I am always entertained by the fact that Apple user have to say "goodbye" or make it a scene because they are changing computers.

I mean it's a company we talk about and material objects, it's ok to move on if you do not like the way the company works, and writing a post won't make them change their course.

It is possibbly the only company this happens with.... makes you think about the "Cult of Apple".

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I am always entertained by the fact that Apple user have to say "goodbye" or make it a scene because they are changing computers.

I mean it's a company we talk about and material objects, it's ok to move on if you do not like the way the company works, and writing a post won't make them change their course.

It is possibbly the only company this happens with.... makes you think about the "Cult of Apple".
Apple has a fairly powerful foothold on some in the tech world, especially they’ve been devoted to the Mac from when it started all the way to the iPhone/Apple Watch/AirPods, etc. The reason there are such ‘cult fans’ of Apple, is because of the legendary service and support throughout their hardware standards, that’s why you find such devoted fans on a site like this.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

tarsins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
You can still get very good integration between iPhone and Windows, especially with the recently improved iCloud for Windows. No reason to switch to Android for a phone just because you switched to Windows as a PC OS.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Or that they need to explain their decision or need to get feedback on their decision usually AFTER they've already made the change.

The best are the ones who show up with the "I is woke now and you poor proles have no idea you're enslaved" attitude. Even better, a lot of those guys end up going Hotel California and never actually leave MacRumors after proudly announcing they've moved on. That's funny entirely in its own way.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2011
When the time comes to get a new phone, you can cross 'tight MacOS integration' off the must-have list and consider the far wider choice of hardware available on Android - but there's no hurry unless you hit a specific snag with your workflow. iOS will talk to GMail, MS Exchange, Dropbox etc. even if its not quite as slick as Apple's services.

Personally, I like Android as a phone OS and think the customisable, widget-based home screens blow iOS out of the water. Beyond that, yes, iOS is a bit more cohesive and consistent but - sadly - far from perfect when it comes to UI design. What keeps me on Android is that I want a phone for calls/text/email/navigation and light web browsing that doesn't cost $1000 and don't think that should require buying (effectively) an old model... if I wanted a pocket AR gaming console with a SLR-replacement camera then the iPhone might be on my list.

...but no, switching to Android won't give you any magical Phone/PC integration that you can't also have on iPhone by switching to Google/Microsoft apps. Wait until your iPhone is ripe for replacement and see what Apple and Android have to offer you hardware-wise at that time.

MLVC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands

Hmmm, I was planning a post on how I changed dishwasher tablets last week after sticking with the same brand for years. I haven't really found out the perfect place to post this though, but it's going to be a very elaborate post for sure.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
In my opinion, there is not much advantage to using Android with Windows. It isn't like iOS and macOS integration. Android integration with Windows is about the same as iOS integration with Windows. As Android is so fragmented. One manufacturer may have better integration out of the box with Windows than another. Tight integration requires the use of third party apps. Much of the major ones will be available on both platforms.

Not sure what integration would be missing. You can sync docs via Office 365 and Google Docs. Pictures via iCloud, Google Photos, OneDrive, &c. Calendar, Contacts, E-Mail, Notes, Tasks, Reminders, &c by a wide range of providers.

All I can think of that isn't integrated is iMessage (SMS texting), phone calls and facetime. Although there are third party apps which offer similar services. They just can't be made default like in Android.

I use Windows mostly. I finally made the switch from iOS to Android. Mostly I was curious and switched to a Pixel. I didn't find much difference in integration. Although MS has default Apps to provide more integration. I'm going with mostly Google for my defaults.

Reactions: YaBe

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2015
Paris

Goodbye fate0311

Enjoy Windows Explorer....lol

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I also use a ThinkPad laptop and there is no urge to move to Android instead of my iPhone MAX.

I do not even see why one would think that. My iPads, phone and Thinkpad work just fine with each other!

Last time I use Android, it was a mess.
This. I have a mixed ecosystem. Best of both worlds. Almost my entire family has iphone and it works out well for us.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I'm here because of the headline of the thread. I like these goodbyes. Perhaps there ought to be a section on MR especially for these threads.

I would switch ecosystem completely - leaving all traces of Apple behind. There's no sweet spot. Android and PC with Windows or nothing. Android and Linux would also work in my book.

Don't want to have one operating system infecting the other. Everything in the world is bound together in a certain way.

Imagine a chokolate cake and then a dash of coal with cement frosting. You can't, can you!?

YaBe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2017
Apple has a fairly powerful foothold on some in the tech world, especially they’ve been devoted to the Mac from when it started all the way to the iPhone/Apple Watch/AirPods, etc. The reason there are such ‘cult fans’ of Apple, is because of the legendary service and support throughout their hardware standards, that’s why you find such devoted fans on a site like this.
Don't get me wrong, I like (used to i should say) Apple, they made some great and revolutionary product, and was an "evengalist" myself when I was younger, but I doubt any other company in any opther market has this kind of "bohoo i am leaving attitude".

Nothing personal with the poster or any other poster, it is the urge to post I am living I can't understand.

Changes are hard, could posting on a site make it easier? Probably, could seeing other people telling me I am right or wrong change my feelings? May be..

Really do not understand, but I would like to, it is something that would be grat to understand and a nice "marketing" exercice.

sparksd

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I've never cared about single ecosystem integration and I use a mix of OS/devices - there are lots of ways to integrate a mix. Having said that, I use an iPhone because I find it superior to other makes (I recently switched from using Android on my phones).

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Funny question.

I've had an iPhone since 2012. I've had pre-2006 Macs since 2010. Where was my integration of the iPhone 5 with PowerPC Mac?

It's a phone, use it as such. If you use Apple services then it adds another layer to things. If you don't but need workarounds find them (Google, Dropbox and jailbreaking worked for me). Otherwise, the iPhone is a great device that works for standalone uses.

You don't need integration to use it.
[doublepost=1561041646][/doublepost]
Have you seen the posts by Sprint users and T-Mobile users (online anywhere you can think of) that absolutely have to let others know they've left the horrible service of that carrier behind?

Apple's not the only one.
[doublepost=1561041812][/doublepost]
Or that they need to explain their decision or need to get feedback on their decision usually AFTER they've already made the change.
They want to be validated. Others reassuring them that they made the right choice.

I recently switched to a Pixel about three or more weeks ago. You won't find a thread about it here in this section. I did post in the Alternatives section but it was from a standpoint of "How do you work this thing?"

Unlike some, I don't need to have my decisions validated by others to make myself feel good about the choices I make.

Aydy

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
This. I have a mixed ecosystem. Best of both worlds. Almost my entire family has iphone and it works out well for us.
Me too. I can understand those who like the idea of a tighter consistency across the same platform but I personally quite enjoy mixing it up some. I find having fingers in several pies keeps things interesting. It also goes a ways to prevent me feeling that I’m missing out.

Reactions: I7guy

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

The best are the ones who show up with the "I is woke now and you poor proles have no idea you're enslaved" attitude. Even better, a lot of those guys end up going Hotel California and never actually leave MacRumors after proudly announcing they've moved on. That's funny entirely in its own way.
"You can checkout any time you like but, you can never leave."

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I've been using iPhone and a PC for years now lol.
The thing is, this site is loaded with Apple fanatics that only use Apple products for the most part, outside of here, I know quite a few tech users who use both PC/Microsoft/iPhones combined. I’m partial to Apple, but I’m not ‘Brand agnostic either’ where I can’t use any other brands except Apple. I’m open to all types of technology from other competitors alike.

Reactions: BigMcGuire and Aydy