Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
18 minutes ago the U.S. Eastern Time Zone went through a temporal wormhole: daylight savings time ended.

Welcome to an hour ago, fellas. :p

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i don't get it...why do we push back the clocks then push them foward... why change the clocks at all, does it just even out.... :confused:
is this one of those things we don't ask just because its done that way... :rolleyes:

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
OutThere said:
18 minutes ago the U.S. Eastern Time Zone went through a temporal wormhole: daylight savings time ended.

Yeah, I always wondered how the time accounting would work if you were to commit a crime at, say, the first 1:30 AM, and then have an alibi at the second 1:30 AM. "Where were you at 1:30?" "With these people over here." It's one of those things that I imagine would drive the various attorneys, policemen, and judges up the wall with complicated explanations.

Oh, and there used to be a bug in Windows where when the time fell back, you'd get an alert telling you... if you clicked OK during that hour, when 2 AM rolled around again the time would fall back again (and again, and again). They fixed it pretty quickly.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
clayj said:
Yeah, I always wondered how the time accounting would work if you were to commit a crime at, say, the first 1:30 AM, and then have an alibi at the second 1:30 AM. "Where were you at 1:30?" "With these people over here." It's one of those things that I imagine would drive the various attorneys, policemen, and judges up the wall with complicated explanations.

Oh, and there used to be a bug in Windows where when the time fell back, you'd get an alert telling you... if you clicked OK during that hour, when 2 AM rolled around again the time would fall back again (and again, and again). They fixed it pretty quickly.

I was going to try and drop some posts at 1:59, 2:00 (1:00), and 2:01 (1:01) to see how the forums react, but I was otherwise occupied. :p

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
OutThere said:
I was going to try and drop some posts at 1:59, 2:00 (1:00), and 2:01 (1:01) to see how the forums react, but I was otherwise occupied. :p
Well, we figured it out: The time is posted according to the clock on the user's machine, and did adjust when the time did. So, we now have some posts that are out of order, timewise, but they appear in the order originally posted.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
clayj said:

!! BRILLIANT

/off to break into the Apple store
//"But judge, I was posting on MR at 1:30"
///YES!!!!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
katie ta achoo said:
!! BRILLIANT

/off to break into the Apple store
//"But judge, I was posting on MR at 1:30"
///YES!!!!

now now, behave, dont make me come there....

:p

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
now now, behave, dont make me come there....

:p

quiet, you!

/breaks into PlaceofDis's apartment
//GUESS WHO HAS A NEW POWERBOOK!
///aww, no backlit keyboard?
////powerbook --> trash can

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
katie ta achoo said:
quiet, you!

/breaks into PlaceofDis's apartment
//GUESS WHO HAS A NEW POWERBOOK!
///aww, no backlit keyboard?
////powerbook --> trash can

hmmmm guess you wont be seeing me then, so sad, so sad

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
For the first time I am going to try to stay awake during the time change schedule. I just want to see if I notice anything. Probably my plan will fail but here's to me:p

I'll have to rely on CBC Radio 3 to keep me awake.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
OutThere said:

Thank God. I function so much better on this time. Seriously. My head is more clear, I write better ... yeah.

The new time is so much better than like, the old time.

I feel bad for those people in Indiana where time like, never changes.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
OK, it's 1 again.. time to start working on my alibi!

:)

/I was eating pancakes
//with 29 other people
///WHO CAN ALL ATTEST TO THIS

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
...and hello to lighter mornings!

It's just after 7am, Sunday morning in London and it's a clear blue sky.

I can now do my makeup before work near the kitchen window instead of in the bathroom. :eek: :D

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
Blue Velvet said:
...and hello to lighter mornings!

It's just after 7am, Sunday morning in London and it's a clear blue sky.

I can now do my makeup before work near the kitchen window instead of in the bathroom. :eek: :D

They have clear, blue skies in London? I though that was myth..like Seattle (the blue sky, not the city). :D

Hello to it being dark by 4:30pm in my neck of the woods. Bring on the "SAD":(

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Kobushi said:
They have clear, blue skies in London? I though that was myth..like Seattle (the blue sky, not the city). :D

Hello to it being dark by 4:30pm in my neck of the woods. Bring on the "SAD":(

Funny thing is that in recent years the UK and Seattle have been having serious droughts...New England has been hit with heavy rain and constant grey skies. :p

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
puckhead193 said:
i don't get it...why do we push back the clocks then push them foward... why change the clocks at all, does it just even out.... :confused:
is this one of those things we don't ask just because its done that way... :rolleyes:
It has to do with saving energy...
Here's a post from another thread, because I asked the same question.
clayj said:
Benjamin Franklin first proposed the idea. The problem with "normal" time is that if you follow it absolutely, you often end up with the sun coming up WAY too early (in the summer) and therefore going DOWN too early (also, in the summer). So, DST allows us to shift the clock so that the sun comes up at a more reasonable hour and goes down later... thereby allowing us to save candles (or energy costs) by having more sunlight while we're actually AWAKE.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
EricNau said:
It has to do with saving energy...
Here's a post from another thread, because I asked the same question.

Eh?

I though it was due to farmers. They wanted more daylight hours in the fields during the summers. And the whole thing is optional as Arizona doesn't participate.

I also read somewhere that there is was a motion before congress to extend DST so that it would start in March and end in November.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Kobushi said:
Eh?

I though it was due to farmers. They wanted more daylight hours in the fields during the summers. And the whole thing is optional as Arizona doesn't participate.

I also read somewhere that there is was a motion before congress to extend DST so that it would start in March and end in November.
When DST first became law (early 20th century, I believe, although Ben Franklin had suggested it earlier), it was intended to make it so that the clock would be more in line with the rising and setting of the sun... would you rather the sun rose at 5 AM and set at 7 PM, or rose at 6 AM and set at 8 PM? The reasoning is quite simple. Obviously it has no effect on the amount of ACTUAL sunlight... just on when WE are awake to take advantage of it.

And yes, the DST start and end dates are being changed in 2007 and beyond.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
clayj said:
<snip> The reasoning is quite simple. Obviously it has no effect on the amount of ACTUAL sunlight... just on when WE are awake to take advantage of it...

Right....but I thought it was more to get the farmer's clocks more aligned with the rest of the world so they could function (i.e. get to the general store during business hours). Not that getting up at 4am is normal..... :confused:

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
clayj said:
When DST first became law (early 20th century, I believe, although Ben Franklin had suggested it earlier), it was intended to make it so that the clock would be more in line with the rising and setting of the sun... would you rather the sun rose at 5 AM and set at 7 PM, or rose at 6 AM and set at 8 PM? The reasoning is quite simple. Obviously it has no effect on the amount of ACTUAL sunlight... just on when WE are awake to take advantage of it.

And yes, the DST start and end dates are being changed in 2007 and beyond.

DST first went into effect back in the 1940s. And its main reason was for farmers. I have never understood how it helps with energy costs, ill pay a extra twenty cents on my electric bill for an extra hour of sleep. I'm just glad I'm graduating next year (2006) and dont have to worry about day light savings time any more thank God. I im really mad that they will extend it in 2007. Why cant we just have regular time? Its worked just peachy since the dawn of time, then america has to come along and fix something that isn't broken...

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
cantthinkofone said:
DST first went into effect back in the 1940s. And its main reason was for farmers. I have never understood how it helps with energy costs, ill pay a extra twenty cents on my electric bill for an extra hour of sleep. I'm just glad I'm graduating next year (2006) and dont have to worry about day light savings time any more thank God. I im really mad that they will extend it in 2007. Why cant we just have regular time? Its worked just peachy since the dawn of time, then america has to come along and fix something that isn't broken...

I am mad they are changing it too! Another dumb Bush move, thinking he can control time.

What about the kids that have to go to school in the dark, at least during the Fall and Winter months?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Frisco said:
I am mad they are changing it too! Another dumb Bush move, thinking he can control time.

What about the kids that have to go to school in the dark, at least during the Fall and Winter months?

Meh in Winter it's dark in the morning when I start class and then it's dark again by the end of the class day...no matter what the daylight savings system is on, there just isn't enough light in December and January.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I wanted to watch my Mac's clock go from 1:59 back to 1:00, but was up at Donut King when the time change happened (Don't ask. Bored college kids+Donut King a block away=frequent runs at odd times)

Hell, we were confused. The Donut King here puts out fresh donuts at 2:00 AM (again, don't ask how we know). We didn't know if they'd put them out at the first 2:00 or the second 2:00. Fortunatley, it was the first 2:00 (when we went)

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Frisco said:

So am I. For those of us that live on an eastern edge of a time zone it is still going to be dark at 8:00 in the morning when they start pushing it back the second Sunday of March instead of the first Sunday in April. Even the first Sunday in April is a little too early. Kids will be going to school in the dark here when that happens. I don't have anything against DST, but I do have a problem with extending it so far that the concept does not even work right anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.