Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m.x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Yay! Just wanted to share this with you (Source: 9to5mac) :

img_0024.png

Reactions: RoelJuun and naasrd

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Exactly what I was thinking.

Edit: I wonder if you can symbolically link folders to iCloud Drive now. If not, I'll have to keep DropBox

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
No pricing nor storage change though. Not even Family plan.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Apple is getting closer, but I still am likely going to remain on Dropbox. I have slowly moved things over to iCloud, but until the web version and even app function like Dropbox I will hold off. I would love to migrate to iCloud because I already pay for 200 GB for my photos, and I only use half. With Dropbox I dropped down the the free tier when I moved my photos to iCloud.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Great, now they just have to make iCloud Drive work as good and reliable as Dropbox.

Not gonna happen for me anytime soon... seriously tried it and frustrating. I would switch to OneDrive before I switch to iCloud Drive.

Reactions: RickInHouston

taldo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Except you can't add files manually, send links, etc

This is directly from my phone
View attachment 559576

I don't know about sending links, but u can save a file to iCloud drive.
I recently got a pdf in an email. After you open the pdf file, there is an option that says "save attachment". This option opens iCloud drive and you can save the file wherever you want.
Also, you can't send links, but you can send any file through the regular share options you have - messages, mail, Facebook messenger, etc.

It still doesn't have the full functionality dropbox is offering, but it's a great leap forward!

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
Yeah... it still isn't killing Dropbox yet. Even Google Drive, which has both been in the game longer and is made by a company that doesn't suck at services, has garbage syncing and sharing capabilities compared to Dropbox. They're still winning this game for now.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Should at least give 10GB storage for everyone to start off with.

I can't see iCloud replacing Dropbox or Google Photos for now. Apple needs to step up their game.

Reactions: kappaknight

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I was really excited about an iCloud Drive app but looking at it and it would appear you can't delete the default folders. You can't rename files. You can't move files. You can't edit file names.

Basically it looks as useless going forward as it is now.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
This thread hasn't really gone how the OP imagined, has it ;)

iCloud still sucks:

• It's stupidly expensive
  • Apple are incredibly stingy with their free allowances (should be 20GB or at least 5GB per device, not per Apple ID),
  • This new app looks like it's just a file viewer
  • I have to pay for separate plans for iTunes Match and Photos, even though it's basically the same cloud storage service
  • ALL other services I've used offer larger storage and more functionality for less, or free

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Did Apple mention anything about selective sync? Really amazed Apple is still without the feature.
Its incredible. My MBP only has a tiny SSD and I don’t need everything. I had to switch to dropbox which I hate because they have people on their executive board I really don’t want to have anything to do with.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Doesn't really change the equation for me. I have 25GB free storage on Dropbox and 50GB free storage on Box. And both services run rings around iCloud Drive. I'm sure I'm not the only one who opened accounts when these companies were doling out decent chunks of free and inexpensive cloud storage.

But if not, iCloud is still expensive compared to Dropbox where one can get 1TB of storage for the same $10/mo as Apple's 500 MB. So there is that. Apple has yet to make a compelling case for paid iCloud. IMHO it should use it as an incentive to get people to buy their hardware rather than to develop a new revenue stream from hardware. I don't think the latter is going to have much relevance to its bottom line and it just scuffs customer good will. 5GB per account, not even device owned is really an insult given how deeply imbedded Apple is trying to weave iCloud into its OSes.

Last edited:
Reactions: iMaven

Petry

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
Great, now they just have to make iCloud Drive work as good and reliable as Dropbox.

Not gonna happen for me anytime soon... seriously tried it and frustrating. I would switch to OneDrive before I switch to iCloud Drive.
Watch out for the IOS CAMERA BACKUP bug
We've been complaining about it for microsoft for over six months.
turns out some images are just not backed up.

Link for the bug report: http://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/8072763-reliable-ios-camera-backup

Agent-J

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Microsoft OneDrive FTW. It syncs all my files over every device I own, iOS, Mac, Windows, and I even have a script that syncs to a flash drive just in case. And it works.

Petry

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
Microsoft OneDrive FTW. It syncs all my files over every device I own, iOS, Mac, Windows, and I even have a script that syncs to a flash drive just in case. And it works.
Just follow the link I posted.
OneDrive for IOS skips some of the users photos, it does not returns any errors. It happens quite often, you should manually check if all your photos are being backed up.

You might think it backed up all your photos from the IOS, but it did not...
Check this screenshot of the IOS photos app and the OneDrive Backup. You can see how it skipped some photos, yet it says "up to date".
rBNI0rK.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.