Goodbye DSLR, Hello IPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MileHighPhotos, Jun 15, 2014.

1. MileHighPhotos macrumors newbie

No more DSLR cameras, a dying age..

IPhone Photography is the way of the new age

Quoted from TechRadar
    “Smartphone photography, iPhoneography, mobile photography or whatever you want to call it, it's clear that taking great pictures with a phone has become a thing now.
    What does that mean, exactly? It means that folks are creating works of art from the Smartphone’s, and those pieces also go up in galleries or are made into prints. That's the extreme end, of course, but on the other we have Instagram photos that look totally killer.”

While DSLR Cameras are still being used the mobile phone has been the new way for millions of people to take photos and share them instantly around the world. Let’s not forget how small and compact a cell phone is, also it is the one thing people never leave there house without. With the high Megapixel camera in phones now, and Social Media Sites i.e. ( Instagram, Twitter, Snap Chat ) Phone Photography has never been so big.
    Here I will include some tips on how to get that Perfect Shot on almost every photo you take! These tips are mainly for iPhone but some of the techniques can be used for photography period.
    Thanks to www.Iphone-photography.org

IPhone Photography

1. Make sure HDR is ON
    2. Manual Focus don’t let the phone decide where it going to focus !
    3. Learn about your Exposure Values
    In photography, exposure is the amount of light per unit area (the image planeilluminance times the exposure time) reaching a photographic film, as determined by shutter speed, lens aperture and scene luminance. – Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_(photography)
    4. rule of thirds, imagine a grid of lines on your Smartphone’s display, dividing it into thirds both horizontally and vertically. In fact, most Smartphone’s come with an option to display that very grid.
    5. With the grid up, try placing your subjects along those lines or at the points where the lines intersect. It will make the photos much more interesting than being smack dab in the middle of your frame.
    You can do this with subjects like lighthouses, people, flowers and everything else. But it's also a good idea to do this with your horizon lines, too, so that your horizon never cuts through the center of your frame.
    Once you get into the habit of following the rule of thirds, you'll start to have a better sense of a photo's balance. When you're at the stage where you think you're getting the hang of it, start breaking the rule and see what works and what doesn't.

2. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

No comparison

Maybe for image presentation for Facebook or instagram, but other than that the DSLR blows away the smart phones on so many levels.

3. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

If you think an iPhone is going to replace a DSRL, either:

1) You have a REAAAALLY bad DSRL
    2) You have no idea how to use your DSLR
    3) You've never used your iPhone to take pictures to see how horrible it is compared to a DSLR.

4. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

[​IMG]

When an iPhone can take a photo like this let me know. :)

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

You are so right of course. Going to sell my Nikon kit now. If only ! realised this before I bought it all!

Smart phones have their place, replacing DSLR's though, not very likely IMO. Replacing cheap crappy point and shoots though, happened already.

6. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

I think for day to day and even special events for most people smartphone photography is probably good enough. Chances are these pics are not going to be printed instead just put up online somewhere. I do believe you can get some nice shots from a phone but not professional quality pictures. However, it is ridiculous to think smartphone cameras are going to come close to replacing DSLR cameras when it comes to quality prints and professional and serious amateur photographers.

7. August West macrumors member

Cool. Will the iPhone 6 come with a 14-24mm ED f/2.8, 70-200mm ED VRII f/2.8 & 35mm f/1.4G as well as the built-in 50mm f1.4 or will those lenses be an extra cost upgrade? Either way, this is going to save me well over 5 figures ($) when I can sell all that useless obsolete gear I've been lugging around and just use the my handy-dandy camera phone and keep it in my pocket. I can't wait.

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I can't see a wedding photographer using an iPhone. lol

9. magilla, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

magilla macrumors regular

I think it's just that iFones have become so insidious that people who WANT to take photos, purchase them (camera Fones in general) instead of having a "point-and-shoot" for their pocket AND a cell phone - plus the fact that there's only 1 "button" to deal with and no real "photographic" knowledge needs to be garnered on the part of the user. With a DSLR you have to know, or at least have a basic understanding of, photographic compositional and mechanical principles to use a DSLR properly.

Then too, too many people are lulled into the false trap of the "megapixel wars" and think that an 8-12 MP camera phone will automatically give them a better photo than an 8-10 MP DSLR, when properly used. The "megapixel wars" have been around since the early days of digital photography and will probably continue for a long time. Take a look at the new Nokia Lumia 41MP camera/phone to see what I'm saying.

----------

If that's YOURS - REALLY NICE PIECE OF WORK! Looks like it was taken from an upper level seating arrangement and let's see someone with a cell phone lean WAAAAAY out over the railing trying to get "closer to the action" for a shot like that!

10. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

I just don't see how that particular photo couldn't have been taken by an iPhone. However, it remains to be said that the iPhones camera leaves a lot to be desired for serious DSLR photographers. Nothing can really compare to a DSLR, nor should it. The power of the DSLR lies (mostly) in the size of the lens/optics. An iPhone lens is minimal compared to a DSLR, so it's quite logical that it can't produce the same quality. However, considering the size of the phone, the quality of iPhone 5S photos is not bad actually!

11. magilla macrumors regular

Agree with you wholeheartedly. Been taking photos since the early 70's (19 not 18) with 35mm, 4x5, & 8x10 film cameras (still working in B&W with them) and digital cameras since their inception. Properly used, DSLRs will kill smart phones every time.

One word though on "cheap crappy point and shoots", I have an old 5 MP Olympus C-5050 that I still use for macro "grab shots" that blows all but a dedicated DSLR macro lens setup away. I also have an Olympus Stylus 850 that's so "ruggedized" that I use it for underwater fly fishing photography simply because it CAN fit right in a vest pocket and I don't have to worry about an after-market waterproof smart phone case failing or dropping a so-equipped iFone in the water.

----------

Uh ...not only do the DSLRs have an advantage over smart phones in their optics design, the actual "guts" behind them, the CCD array is vastly superior (both in quality AND size). No, the photos aren't bad as compared to lower end DSLRs, but it's just not an "apples & oranges" kind of comparison.

12. magilla macrumors regular

Do you have a substantiated link for the article from which you're quoting in the beginning of this posting?

13. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

Two points. The best camera you have is the one you have on you, so in that respect the iPhone wins. But it doesn't mean they replaced DSLR's.

Second, if I hired professional photographer and they showed up with just their phone, I'd be asking for my money back.

14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I don't disagree at all that smartphones might hurt point and shoot/compact models, but DSLR's are a whole other thing.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

You are right of course, a crapoy iPhone photo is much better than a non-photo from a dslr you didn't have with you.

The iPhone camera is great as long as the limitations are understood and there are clearly some advantages that DSLRs don't have, like air drop. Saying DSLRs are dead because the iPhone is here is just plain silly. Many people will be happy working within the limitations if an iPhone. Even me, but I get frustrated when I can't take dslr quality photos from my iPhone.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

people who write about phones replacing dslrs are hitting the pipe too hard.
    cocky jeremy is right. Iphones are universes away from dslrs.

My Lumia 900 was my first smartphone. (I use phones for phoning and ipads and macs for everything else.) i thought the Zeiss lens and 8megpx might make this an Ok camera. God was I wrong! My girlfriend has the 5c and you can barely compare it to a entry level point and shoot...
    Also look here:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FHUf6yE-Hts

17. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

Have you tried to zoom in with an iPhone? It's not pretty.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

It's a bit of sensationalism in journalism. The iphone 5c/5s cameras are really nice for what they are. Take a snap correctly and you may even get a handsome 3x5 or 4x6 like looks professional.

But there are a whole range of capabilities that are outside of an iphone. It was never meant to kill a DSLR, it was meant to provide a good photo experience to the masses. phone cameras are getting better and better and that's good news for all of us. But there are times I just need to take out my DSLR and L lenses.

19. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Saying an iPhone can replace a DSLR is like saying an iPhone can replace a computer. For certain tasks, sure. Others, no way.

20. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

P&S cameras are dead, not DSLRs.

In fact DSLRs are becoming more popular because people use a phone camera, get interested in photography and get a DSLR.

The only cameraphone that can seriously match a DSLR quality and even beat entry-mid range DSLRs in a good daylight is Nokia 808 PureView.

Proof...

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/201406051544r7wfLW.jpg

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/2014061100586rZ9ep.jpg

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/20140510200070w70G.jpg

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/201405252015XcNM08.jpg

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/201405260942Z8oere.jpg

21. I7guy macrumors G5

Pics look nice on my iPhone, but so do others I've viewed.

22. MichaelAtman macrumors newbie

You aint lying, they do a great job however, I will never give up my Canon DSLR...