Goodbye, Gilmore Girls

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aprilgrey34, May 19, 2007.

1. aprilgrey34 macrumors member

:(

I have been watching Gilmore Girls since Day 1, Season 1.

Is anybody else sad that they're done?
    (Or was I the only person left watching them (Maybe that's why they died.)?)

2. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Watching that show was like getting a red hot poker shoved up my nose.

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree with the above comment!!

My wife was a huge fan of GG. She also watched Dahrma and Greg when it was on. I felt the exact same about that show- actually a red hot poker shoved up my nose would be better I think.

4. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Yup. Started watching the DVDs from Netflix in the summer before S5, and I've grown up with it over the past few years.

It wouldn't suck so much if The CW went about it the right way, but Ostroff totally screwed the loyal fans, and the network will be dead to me after Tuesday's VM finale.

5. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Yep. It's sad. The CW is no more for me, so they can go ahead and show as much Tyra or whatever as they want, because I'm not watching it anymore.

Now Tuesday night television has nothing for me.:(

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Just to lend some ... support.

I liked Gilmore Girls for a long time (this season lacked ... that right ... Sherman-Palladinoness). The dialog was fast and allusive (and with at least a pretense of self-deprecation via that allusiveness), they dropped names of bands I like(d) (Arcade Fire, Super Furry Animals), and they featured a Big Lebowskiesque cast of "characters." GG was fun, it was contemporary (in its references it was so Americanly living) -- it only got itself into trouble when it took itself too seriously (when it tried to do "drama" -- certainly something I'd know nothing about ;) ).

It's sad to see its time is up. Though, honestly, its time was up last season, no? I mean, there's only so many times you can send Logan to London and think you'll get away with it ....

that's a three beer metaphor. deal with it.

7. aprilgrey34 thread starter macrumors member

Sigh... you guys break my heart.

No! Never!!

You mean, Hottie McHot? :p

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

This red-blooded, heterosexual male loved the show too. I agree with thedude110 that, for a long time, the rapid-fire dialogue was just extremely well written -- reminded me a lot of "Moonlighting" at its best. I kinda lost interest in the show these last few years, and it had indeed run its course, but I'll still tune in for the reruns when I get a chance.

9. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Mom was hot. Daughter was hot. Too bad about the show. :(

Actually, I didn't even know they were still on. How did it survive for so long?

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

My fiancée has been a big fan of it for several years now, although she's been following the re-runs on ABC Family, so she's always a season behind.

Yes, it was a chick show. But it was also a smart show. It reminded me a lot of The West Wing in some ways...rapid-fire dialogue, passing references to a wide range of cultural topics, etc.

And Lauren Graham is Teh Hotness.

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

13. aprilgrey34 thread starter macrumors member

DH totally and utterly agrees with the above.

Alexis Bledel was always more my type... ;)

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I caught this show once on Lifetime. I liked it. (no homo)

Okay, okay, I am just ********ting. I've never seen the show, and have no idea what it's about.

15. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

My significant loves Gilmore Girls, I never really followed it towards its end (I was a frequent watcher during the first couple season) but I guess the storyline just died for me. I'm sure my significant other will be very sad, I don't even think she knows it's over.

16. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

It had a fitting ending, at least. Things were resolved (though I was unhappy with the Rory/Logan stuff, it was at least in character for Rory etc). I am happy with how the show ended.

Unlike Veronica Mars, which was so wrongfully cut short. :(

**** the CW.

17. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i used to watch it once in a while. but all the yapping kinda annoyed me so i stopped.

18. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

My wife and I both loved the show. The witty story lines, contagious prsonalities and fun, but human, emotions were refreshing. There was no "Murder, Death, Kill", car chases, or crime scenes. Just people living their lives.

Good clean programming seems to be a thing of the past. I'm seriously thinking of turning off the cable and not bothering anymore. I'm not the lowest denominator the networks are pandering to, I guess.....:rolleyes: