Goodbye iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ivan P, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I've had too many frustrations lately with my iPod touch and have decided I will replace it either with an iPod classic or a 4G nano (when it's released). This is my second touch; a refurb. While the first one was replaced due to hardware problems, this one is just an overall pain with both the software and iTunes integration. It's very temperamental when it comes to installing applications (both from iTunes and when using the App Store on the touch itself), sometimes it won't sync properly, the battery life is appalling and overall the more I use it the more I regret ever buying an iPod touch in the first place.

So goodbye iPod touch...at least for the first generation. If there are major improvements in the future I might look into it again.

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

My battery life is fine (but could always be better) but in reality it spends a lot of time plugged in either in my car office or at home. As far as apps go, I've never had a real problem.

Restoring it did not help???

3. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Several restores and absolutely nothing has changed. I'd send it to Apple to be serviced but as I said, this is already the second one I've had.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I love my Touch.

However, I think there are still many issues with the hardware/software.

I am on my ??? restore. I have many apps. Everything seems to be working, then all of a sudden music and movies don't show up, yet memory is still shown as being used. Then the apps start not working.

This occurrence seems to correspond when app updates are available.

I am a bit frustrated right now with Touch.

5. Funplex macrumors regular

Ive had the worst time with freezing lately. It took more than 10 minutes to reboot last night so I don't know if it's an app issue or what, but it's a pain in the butt for it to lock up when I go to surf the web.

6. Klemmsta24 macrumors newbie

iTouch prob

exactly when you called apple support
    how did you get to send in your iTouch because i called apple support and i couldnt find out how to send back my iTouch.
    Any help will be fine.
    Thanks

7. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

Are we all talking about 1 gen devices here? My 2nd gen Touch is working like a dream. I've used it pretty intensely for 2 months now, and not a single problem.

8. blackbelt534 macrumors regular

Erwin-BR, what are yo talking about? the 2nd Gen iPod touch hasn't been out for two months.

9. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

perhaps he meant 2 weeks...

10. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I have a first gen ipod touch when it was first released, well, in that same month, not that same week. Its going just fine, jailbroken and all. The 2nd gen iPod touch is going fantastic, though boring. It is running faster than the first gen. Don't know if its the new processor but me think its just jailbreaking makes it go a tad slower. Anyway, just saying it seems you had a couple of lemon ipods or I'm just very lucky.

11. LoveTheTouch macrumors newbie

I have had the 1st generation ipod touch since it's release and no problems here. Plug my ipod touch in each morning, I work nights and listening to music during the nights.

Lots of applications, that I am still trying to see what they do, but still no problems.

So sorry, you are having problems. I love my ipod touch!

12. beeh macrumors regular

Just thought I'd throw out my experience to maybe help you out - I was frustrated with battery life initially, but found turning off wifi and ( I think it was ) push notification, battery life increased immensely. Even with poor battery life, I still liked the touch.

13. iamtherealandy macrumors newbie

Some apps will freeze the 2g but seriously...

for all the awesomeness that is the 2g a few tiny glitches hardly mar the overall effect.

Syncing glitches -- just delete everything you have on the thing -- restore it -- and then see how it goes.

Unless you have money to burn and then buy all the iPods you like but you can over come these problems with a small adjustment to your attitude. Your iPod houses more computing power than any other device of it's size. We landed a spaceship on the moon with VASTLY less computing power. Respect it as a whole computer and these small troubles will seem less grand.

In otherwords: you are making mountains of molehills...

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'm on my second 1st gen Touch after the first one died. I also had trouble installing apps until the latest firmware update. If you don't need wifi and the apps, then by all means get yourself a Nano. My wife much prefers her nano 4G for media, but keeps her Touch in her purse for weather and email updates.

15. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

they fixed that in 2.0.2 i believe MAYBE 2.1, but it is definitly a known, fixed bug.