Goodbye Leopard, hello Tiger!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by majordude, Nov 3, 2007.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Well. one week into Leopard and I've had it. I've gone back to Tiger. :(

It wasn't as bad as going from XP to Vista :mad: but it did force me to retreat anyway.

By the way, I did a clean install.

I think most of the problems centered around two things...

1. Time Machine
    2. Permissions

Time Machine BOGGED DOWN my MBP like converting a movie file would on Windows 98. UNACCEPTABLE! :mad: If I was viewing a file in QuickTime and TM came on, the movie went into slow motion and the entire system seemed taxed. Plus, with VMware Fusion running, it would lock up Fusion and I'd have to force a shut down and one time I had to push the power button to get the system unstuck.

I tried to install several drivers and updates and it appears that Apple has implemented some new security measures that prevents programs from, well, working. I downloaded a Xerox ColorSeries driver and Leo wouldn't let it install. I downloaded the update F for Sims 2 and it too wouldn't get past Go.

Oddly, the first thing I noticed when switching back is that Tiger is brighter and easier on the eyes. The text is larger and the default icons are brighter. I didn't notice that when upgrading. Plus the Tiger toolbar is better. No doubt.

Sorta depressing in a way. I waited almost six months from purchase (of my MBP) to get Leopard and will probably wait another six before I upgrade again. :(

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Odd that my eMac at 800Mhz runs video, itunes and back-ups to time machine all at once and seems to perform with just a slight decrease in performance. Since you went through the trouble of going back can we assume you repaired permissions, disk unties, etc?

Odd about the apps too. Have you re-installed them? Some put parts into application support and those would have been moved with a clean install.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

My three year old iBook runs everything great (with not quite so much eye candy)...wanna trade?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well, your first problem stems from using quicktime in general. In any case, I'm not exactly sure why your system bogged down in TM so much. After the initial backup I haven't noticed it when it logs the changes even if I'm doing something processor-heavy. I can't stand the 3d dock either, so I changed it. I also don't know why you weren't allowed to install whatever you wanted, unless it's just not supported. I've been able to use several more or less archaic printers with it.

Anyway, just my two cents.

5. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

I did a clean install of Tiger and saved my Time Machine backup file in case I want to go back to Leo. I think it has an option of restoring the entire computer to a certain time when you boot from the install disc.

This sucks. I have a lot of programs to install now. :mad:

6. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Every backup was something like 13GB. I think it sees XP partitions in Fusion (and I assume Parallels) as changed files even if you just booted it up and shut it down.

Honestly the only thing I liked about Leopard is the preview ability. Instead of showing icons (like QT) it showed the first scene of the movie so you could visually see which one you wanted. I also liked clicking on the movies in Preview and having it run without launching QT.

Overall I don't see a compelling reason to have upgraded. Hindsight being 20/20...

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Indeed it does, i have excluded my VMs from Time machine for this very reason. Hopefully either apple or 3rd parties come up with a solution for this.

8. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Yeah. It would be cool if TM could find and restore files in XP too. THAT would be awesome!