Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
What is this for? What's does it do to 'say goodbye to the headphone/lightning adapter.'

It looks to me that you connect with wire your headphones to this device.

Then your iPhone connects to that device via Bluetooth and bam. Wireless headphones.

Looks interesting but then I'm carrying something else in my pocket. Potentially annoying.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
this adds bluetooth to non-bluetooth device; nothing to do with getting rid of wires from your headphones (you'd still need bluetooth headphones to connect to it wirelessly so it would be moot in regards to saying goodbye to anything)

I don't see why people just can't flip between charging and headphones.

iPhone 7
Wireless video playback:
Up to 13 hours
Wireless audio playback:
Up to 40 hours

iPhone 7 Plus
Wireless video playback:
Up to 14 hours
Wireless audio playback:
Up to 60 hours

Does anyone work longer than 13 hour days where they can't switch up to speakers?

Better yet, lets assume it's based on Internet and say 12 hours max. Does anyone seriously work that long? If so you probably should be paying attention to the manufacturing instead of Ariana Grande.

c613m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
It's not an awkward solution. Why should I have to buy Bluetooth headphone when this converts my perfectly fine headphones? It's Bluetooth 4.1 so there is zero latency.

Works well for me, this adapter and headphones stay on the inside of my jacket, and my phone is free of any wires. It's freakin awesome. I used it all week without charging too so a 2 hour weekend session is all it needs.

If it's not for you or you'd rather spend a few hundred bucks on new headphones then go for it. I just wanted to share since it's working out great.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
It's not an awkward solution. Why should I have to buy Bluetooth headphone when this converts my perfectly fine headphones? It's Bluetooth 4.1 so there is zero latency.

Works well for me, this adapter and headphones stay on the inside of my jacket, and my phone is free of any wires. It's freakin awesome. I used it all week without charging too so a 2 hour weekend session is all it needs.

If it's not for you or you'd rather spend a few hundred bucks on new headphones then go for it. I just wanted to share since it's working out great.

But it does a less good job connecting your existing headphones to your iPhone than the free 3.5-to-lightning adapter that came in the box with your phone does.

I have my wired headphones connected to my 7+ just fine, without spending a cent. I have the same number of wires as this solution, one less battery, one less device in my pocket, and better audio quality. And I haven't spent any money to get here, beyond the cost of the phone. I don't see the benefit of this, it feels like a solution to a different problem.

If there's a single reason to use this over the little white dongle, then great - but you've not yet shared that. Why not just connect your headphones to your phone if you're going to have a cable anyway?

Also, Bluetooth 4.1 has plenty of latency, even direct from phone to headphones - try watching a video or playing a game with sound effects.

c613m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
Well my issue was the headphones had a 90 degree connector to the adapter, and the adapter would get caught in my jacket when I removed the phone.

As I stated, this is a solution for me, I use the receiver connected to my headphones and they remain on the inside of my jacket, leaving my phone free of wires. That's enough of justification for me.

As for latency, the sole purpose of it is to listen to music during commutes, so I don't play games or watch movies, non issue for me.

I get it guys, I was skeptical as well until it arrived and I love this thing.

The whole point of a forum is to share experiences, I'm not asking anyone to agree. And when I have a $200 pair of headphones, why would I throw those away to get a new pair of Bluetooth ones?

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
Well my issue was the headphones had a 90 degree connector to the adapter, and the adapter would get caught in my jacket when I removed the phone.

As I stated, this is a solution for me, I use the receiver connected to my headphones and they remain on the inside of my jacket, leaving my phone free of wires. That's enough of justification for me.

As for latency, the sole purpose of it is to listen to music during commutes, so I don't play games or watch movies, non issue for me.

The whole point of a forum is to share experiences, I'm not asking anyone to agree. And when I have a $200 pair of headphones, why would I throw those away to get a new pair of Bluetooth ones?
tell us again why you are not just using the dongle that came with the phone? What are we missing here?

c613m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
As I've said twice now, the adapter would snag on my jacket when I removed the phone from my pocket because my headphones use a 90 degree connector.

It works for me, and that's all that matters. I shared because others may find it useful. If you don't then move along.

I've thoroughly enjoyed being free of wires (connected to phone). It's a fresh experience and I have better control of the phone not fiddling around with a wire.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
As I've said twice now, the adapter would snag on my jacket when I removed the phone from my pocket because my headphones use a 90 degree connector.

It works for me, and that's all that matters. I shared because others may find it useful. If you don't then move along.

I've thoroughly enjoyed being free of wires (connected to phone). It's a fresh experience and I have better control of the phone not fiddling around with a wire.

Well certainly the folks on amazon who took the time to drop a review are very impressed, not many products get almost 90% positive for reviews.

Thanks OP.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
This gadget seems like a decent option for a car. I looked at getting this model, but there's no auto-on. I didn't want to have to flip it on every time I got in the car.

Seems a little cumbersome for headphones for headphones though.

I don't see why people just can't flip between charging and headphones.

iPhone 7
Wireless video playback:
Up to 13 hours
Wireless audio playback:
Up to 40 hours

iPhone 7 Plus
Wireless video playback:
Up to 14 hours
Wireless audio playback:
Up to 60 hours

Does anyone work longer than 13 hour days where they can't switch up to speakers?

Better yet, lets assume it's based on Internet and say 12 hours max. Does anyone seriously work that long? If so you probably should be paying attention to the manufacturing instead of Ariana Grande.

I'm a bit annoyed people can't seem to see this from anyone else's point of view. It isn't an issue for you. That's fine. That doesn't mean it's a non-issue for everyone.

1. Yeah, some days I do work 13+ hours when the situation arises. I'm not in manufacturing. I'm in public accounting. Tons of spreadsheets. Tons of numbers. Occasionally insanely monotonous. It can be hard to focus when Becky corners some poor sap and wants to loudly discuss her gluten free diet. The headphones also ensure that poor sap isn't me. I don't need to turn off the music to focus on my job. The music is what allows me to focus.
2. Those specs are ideal conditions with a brand new battery. Towards the end of my time with my 6+, I wasn't getting through half a day without charging. I had to listen and charge all the time, or my phone would be dead after 4 hours.

I hope the battery in my 7 holds up better than my 6. If it does, this won't be a major issue for me, just a minor annoyance. If it doesn't, it'll be a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: navier and c613m

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
You are slowly transitioning over to bluetooth headphones. It's going to happen, I saw keep an eye on Jaybird X2 headphones, I have seen them get down to about $70 a couple of times, and they are far superior than carrying around headpones and and adapter.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London

The point of a forum is to DISCUSS experiences.

If this works for you, great. But I'm not sure what your problem is with people asking questions for clarification when the benefits are not immediately clear to most people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.