Goodbye MacBook, hello "new iPad". Tips, apps, accessories?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GrindedDown, Mar 11, 2012.

1. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just took a plunge and sold my 08 unibody MacBook Pro and am using the cash to buy a 32gb iPad. I have no other computer (my iPhone is all), but plan on buying a new MacBook end of this year (read: waiting for refresh) I have everything backed up and media files synced to my roommates comp.

I will be using this as my sole computer. I will be using it mostly for content consumption with little content creation. I'll type documents here and there, want to stream movies (free if possible), need to print. I like designing, art, photos and the like too.

What tips would you have for me? Apps that I must have? Accessories that I must get? Games I must play?

I'm excited to camp out and get it Friday. Thanks in advance.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And how exactly do you plan to activate, sync, and restore if need be without a computer running iTunes? :confused:

3. wodeh macrumors regular

iOS 5?

4. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

You don't need to do any of that from a computer since iOS 5. When you turn it on, it walks you through everything and sets up iCloud (which is where backups would go to). And if they buy their media from iTunes, it can all be downloaded to the device or streamed.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yup, just read that. As I go throught the steps in my head of how exactly that works, I'm getting a headache.

6. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

I am in the same boat as you. I just sold my 2011 macbook air for the iPad. However I do have a low end windows 7 machine as a backup just incase. I don't think I will be using it at all. I hope to be only using my iPad from now on. The dictation software and dragon will work for my work flow instead of killing my hands on a keyboard.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

But of course! Buy all your media fom iTunes and you're all set! :rolleyes:

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Gave up a real computer for an iPad ? :confused:

Real smart move!!!

9. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Ha! Hey, I wouldn't do it personally, but I'm sure some people do.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Hmmmm, I can't find how to do a restore without iTunes... Anyone?

11. G77 macrumors regular

You put your apple id in. That is all.

----------

Again no problem if you have your backup in icloud...

12. Kauai macrumors 6502a

You're joking right? It's right in the settings.

And if I may, you seem to have a real stick up your...

@ OP; I'd definitely look at a keyboard case. Zagg has a really nice on especially. An Apple TV might be a good idea, too, since you can airplay stuff now from the iPad (if you have a larger HDTV, that is.) Good luck! ;) For people who mostly consume media I think this is a great option.

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggfolio-ipad-3-keyboard-case

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

To stream movies, Netflix is a must. Not free but dirt cheap and if you're in the US you get a good selection of content. Outside the US you might have a more limited selection.

If you want to work with documents, you'll need iWork. Get the parts of it you need from the App Store.

14. KHC831 macrumors member

For a complete reset, I think you need iTunes to do a full OS install then restore from iCloud. So yes, you will need a PC.

15. tanboom macrumors member

I am afraid at some point you will see why ipad cant replace PC! !

16. Lawyer macrumors newbie

I gave my Macbook Pro to my mother and bought an iPad, but I've still got my good ole quad core PC.

17. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Wow, brave new world type stuff. Here's my list of priorities below. For all those people wondering about syncing, you can sync via iCloud for Contacts, Calendar, Address Book, Bookmarks, Reminders, Notes, Photo stream, and Documents. So that should cover you for backup of your main data. To back up secondary data, music, etc.... you'll need an iTunes connect account if you have any stray MP3s that are not on iTunes. You can backup via iCloud and for your usage, it looks like that's about all you'll need server side.

1. iCloud account
    2. iTunes account
    3. Apps you'll want: Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband (if you like to create music), quickoffice HD, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Nettalk for free calls in US and Canada, Google translate if you need translation, Voxer for PTT, Free WiFi Finder so you can find wifi access points, iBooks, Fusion Stream, Logmein Ignition (if you want to access other computers), Dropbox, yousendit (for large attachements via email), Audionote, Dragon Dictation, and Genius Scan so you can scan documents.
    4. Other good apps/games: Navigon for GPS, Photosynth for photo stitching, Instagram, Flighttrack Pro for travel, Flightboard for travel, kayak for last minute flight booking, Living Earth for a great alarm clock/weather/world time, Airport utility if you use an Airport extreme or airport express, Comic Zeal if you like comics, Infinity Blade and Infinity Blade 2, Appzilla for multipurpose crap, Sketchbook Pro for the inner artist in you, Scan for barcode and QR scanning, and Netflix or some other streaming service if you really want movies subscription.
    5. Invest in good peripherals such as a BT keyboard if you need a keyboard, a solid case or smart cover, and also Find my iPad.
    6. Have fun!

18. erawsd macrumors 6502

A Tip: Don't expect the iPad to do everything your MacBook did. While its coming along, there are still a lot of things an iPad can't do or do very well.

A need: you say that you will need to print, so you'll have to get an iOS compatible printer. You may also want to pick up a Bluetooth keyboard.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Sure you may, although I don't know why you would? :confused:

Wow, so you can restore the OS from iCloud? I missed that part of the keynote...

----------

Really? Hmmmm, well, his could be awkward....

20. ebook macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; USCCADR6275US Carrier ID 45 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I would really like to replace my MacBook Pro with an iPad. I used to work in a job where I used my personal MacBook Pro everyday, but now I rarely use it and most days don't even take it out of the bag.

The thing that is holding me back is the ability to create documents and such ... I'm thinking of getting a used/refurb iPad 2 and then if it fits the bill stepping up to a new one next time they are released ... That's my thought for now ... But, this post was somewhat encouraging

21. emaja macrumors 68000

Since OP says he will be using the iPad for content consumption and not content creation, I do not see why he needs a PC or Mac at all.

22. Signor S. macrumors member

Kudos to the OP for taking a stance many would not dare to try (at least not yet). I'm interested to see how you do for the next few months as you wait for the refresh of the Macbook Pro/Air.

As far as accessories and apps go:

Printing: If you have an Apple compatible printer than you should be fine for your printing needs (as long as you have wifi in the house and AirPrint compatibility), if not than it would be good to invest in a popular app called Printopia, which allows for any type of printer connected to your wireless internet to print documents from your iPad.

Case: This is more or less of a personal preference, for me personally I am going to get one of Apple's Smart Covers.

Typing: Invest in a bluetooth keyboard. If you are looking to type more than half a page of text in some word processing app than definitely buy a bluetooth keyboard. You'll save more time by typing efficiently than touch typing inefficiently (this is not to say you can't get fast by touch typing, but it is just easier overall). If you're not going to type a lot than you will be fine without one.

Apps: For games I recommend the website toucharcade.com which lists a wide range of games as well as reviews on each one (for the casual and hardcore gamers alike). As for productivity and social, a good Google search will pull up lots of information about any apps you are possibly looking into.

Hope this information helps and enjoy your new iPad!

23. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Uh huh, just couple days ago I tried (so hard) to update my iPhone from 5.0.1 to 5.1 via Software Update menu on iPhone Settings. And after 3 days of waiting (thinking it was a server outage due to initial demand) I only get "Failed to Check Update ... Cancel/Try Again?" message.

In the end I just have to download the full sized ipsw from my Mac, and update it the old way, via iTunes and it went fine. So much for having Software Update menu on my iPhone.

Theoretically iOS 5 unplug your iDevice from your computer, but there are times when you just can't do things right on this unplugged iOS. Some errors cannot be fixed unless you plug it back to iTunes. You can't import music/movies/books to your iPhone without computer, unless they were bought on iTunes or synced to *cough*5GB* free iCloud.

No matter what, iOS still too much dependant, it's still a mobile OS, it's still a Pod and you still need to plug it to your computer once in a while. Yeah iOS 5 give a slight chance for your iDevice to be completely unplugged, but life would feel so much harder that way.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Not true. You can do a complete restore on the device itself.

So much misinformation in this thread, and 4 months after iOS 5 was released. Astounding.