Goodbye MacBook Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dawnraid, Oct 26, 2008.

1. dawnraid macrumors regular

To my horror yesterday I discovered my macbooks screen had cracked whilst coming back home from holiday! It was in my backpack and in its special protective bag. Dont know how it happend, it wasnt dropped, maybe something poked into the back of it (unlikely) no dents in the back of the screen. Going to see apple tomorrow. General one year warranty cover (im guessing no)?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Accidental damage is not covered by the warranty.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

my condolences.

luckily thats easily replaceable.:)

4. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

What does it say about intentional damage?

5. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I was wondering how long it would take for the first cracked glass MB/MBP thread to come up. I've seen so many of them for the iPhone and iPod touch, so I knew this kind of damage was inevitable with the laptops.

I hope Apple is forgiving and offers you a free fix. If you had it in a sleeve and then in a backpack, this sort of thing shouldn't happen (I would think).

[Edit: wait, is this a blackbook?]

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This isnt a glassbook. Theres been dozens of these threads already

7. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Oh man that's terrible. Good luck! Let us know what apple says.

8. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

OK, thanks. You must have been replying just as I was editing. I didn't know the regular glossy screens had that weakness. I guess they're glass-like too.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

whitebook

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

All screen have glass, just the new ones have a glass cover too

11. dawnraid thread starter macrumors regular

white book, I swapped my black book with my brother for his brand new white book, Oh well **** happens. lol. Im gonna leave it up to my dad to sort out, he does insurance business with apple so its no problem im guessing

12. guthy-lux macrumors member

Wow, in a special protective bag and no dents in the back of the screen? It's a kinda magic. You sure this didn't happen before you put it in the bag? Is the crack only inside? no wound on the surface of the screen?

I really wanna know why this happened. Or I can't carry my Macbook.

13. dawnraid thread starter macrumors regular

Magic indeed lol, No dents or scratches on the back (well there are a few small scratches from general use) im about 90% sure it didnt happen before (I didnt use it for a couple of hours before i packed up so im not completely sure) no wound on the surface of the screen except some bulges where the glass is almost poking through. the crack is on the inside only.

14. Adamo macrumors 6502

:eek: Now you're making me consider selling mine again and picking up another EEE or equivalent for travelling - it's probably a stupid idea to take something so pricey with me though.

15. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

You seem to be easily influenced by what people say. Tell you what...

If you PM me Ill give you my bank-account number, if you transfer 1000$ to my account, great things will happen. ;)

16. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Oh geez bad luck mate! If something like that ever happened to my BlackBook I would probably cry. Er... in a manly way of course... *ahem*

Its worrying that you say it happened despite the MacBook being wrapped up in its protective case, I generally keep mine in the A4 wallet section of my backpack. Its got thick cloth sides and I always assumed that would be sufficient protection up until now...

Eek!

17. Son of Matrix macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

My feeling is that it's quite impossible to crack this way...if too much pressure put on it, its more likely that the middle part will crack first I think. I stand corrected though. I think you must have left your laptop somewhere and someone just open it up and hammer it with something blunt...maybe a pencil box and then close it off and then you brought it back home...

Can you teach me how to cry in a manly way? I used cry with a lot of sounds which is terrible.

18. dckj95 macrumors member

woah thats one big crack! apple will replace it for you for free if they're feelin good but they might just ask you to pay for the replacement lcd screen. :)

19. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

guess that special protective bag wasn't so special afterall. :)

Sorry for the damage. Could very likely be covered under home owners I'd renters insurance.