Goodbye Macrumors, thanks for everything!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by OwlsAndApples, Aug 12, 2009.

1. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I have just got a job at my nearest Apple store, and want to say goodbye to all! Thanks to all the moderators and admins and the whole community who makes this site what it is. Brilliance, in a word :)

See you all, and thanks for all the help over the years :D

OwlsAndApples

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Hold up, a Job at an apple retail store requires you to close your MR account?

Good luck but thats CRUEL!

-Omi

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

NDA requires you to forfeit membership on forums; im not sure if its all forums or just apple-related ones.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've known a few folks who got jobs at apple. They had to give up their favorite forums.

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

There goes my idea of temporary carear in a couple years...

And what if you didnt?

-Omi

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Brent Cross? or Milton Keynes?

Good luck with the job. :)

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Actually, all it says is that you can't publicly talk about any non-public Apple information. That applies to friends, family, forums, customers, etc.

You definitely do not have to forfeit membership on forums! You just can't go blabbing about everything you hear in the back room.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

You actually can't represent yourself as an Apple employee on a related forum, either.

I had a membership here and on other forums for the two years I worked for Apple. I just didn't post (or use store computers to view such sites).

Most people play it safe and don't look or post.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think it's quite insanely controlling that they forbid you from attending sites like this as long as you are an employee. What right do they have to tell you what to do in your own time?

If you spill any secrets that are under NDA that's fair enough, but to say you're not allowed here at all is ridiculous.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. I think it's silly too.

They don't want you to post on rumour websites because they believe you may divulge Apple product information before the official release. However, over time, we have learned that employees, even ones that work at official Apple Stores, know dick about upcoming Apple products. If anyone seems to leak information about upcoming Apple products, it's Best Buy (and Circuit City, I suppose) employees who announce upcoming product codes that are already viewable in their system.

I can understand a hush hush policy if you work at Apple corporate, but retail store employees don't know more than the regulars here.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

They don't forbid you from attending any sites, that's not true.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

okaaay, so why does anyone that works for apple leave here immediately?

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

In the scope of new product launches, that's very true. However, there's a lot more to Apple retail (than just new product launches) that Apple prefers to keep to itself.

Because if you're been on MacRumors for more than two days, you "know" (from having read here) that Apple employees can't be on forums. Then you sign your paperwork and go through orientation and find out that's not exactly the case.

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

How strange...I was *just* thinking if I needed to forfeit my participation on this forum if I managed to get a job at the local Apple Store.

So what's the word? You need to sign an NDA? I guess it doesn't exclude you from participation, although you'd want to clam up just in case you let something slip by accident.

16. myusername macrumors member

myusername

employees and forums

You are not allowed to post, you can view and read any sites but posting is not allowed. Is it monitored, I'm not sure.

-r

17. iGary Guest

iGary

Because they think that they are not allowed to even look at these sites.

I was always told that we were free to look at Apple- and tech-related sites on our own time, but we were not allowed to either represent yourself as an Apple employee or post confidential information.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So if you just don't say you're an employee, and keep your mouth shut if by some amazing means you have inside info, you're fine to carry on as normal?

So really there's no need to leave at all?

20. iGary Guest

iGary

They knew me at my store because I had posted a long tyrade about an issue I had at the Genius Bar on this forum, so I didn't dare test it.

Technically yes. But few want to test the boundaries, so they just don't bother.

It's not only confidential information. Engaging in rumors or speculating are also forbidden. That's basically what this whole site is about.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just out of curiosity, how much confidential information do store employees get? I can't imagine it's a lot, sometimes store employees seem just as surprised as we are when new stuff comes out.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

There's a LOT of confidential information Apple store employees get, although you're right that none of it is advanced knowledge of new products.

There's way more to Apple than just new products, you know. :)

23. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

in this economy a job at apple is a very good thing. i would not test the boundaries especially in the first few month till you know what is going on. after that i would probably post only apple unrelated stuff and i would not post from work.

24. iGary Guest

iGary

As aristobrat said, it's more operational stuff and no knowledge of advanced products at all.

25. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

So long as you don't visit the sites on shop Macs I can't see a problem. Unless your user ID here is your real name.