Goodbye, old friend

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Montymitch, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

After 5 years, I've finally let go of my late 08 MacBook. That machine is just unstoppable, but I had an opportunity to swap it for a newer 15" MBP without losing any money. I had to step down from the 8gb ram and 120gb SSD I had in mine, but I can always upgrade my new MBP, and frankly, with the small SSD it was a bit of a burden to keep enough space free. Out of every computer/tech purchase I've ever made, the old MacBook is the best. I got my money out if it, and then some. I can't imagine buying a PC laptop and having it last 5 years.

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Sounds familiar. I have a Late '08 MacBook (2.4GHz) I bought in Nov. 2008, been using it ever since. Upgraded to 8GB RAM, then a 500 GB HDD, then to a 120GB SSD in the optical bay and a 750GB HDD. And two weeks ago I came across a Mid 2010 15" MacBook Pro for $650 in nearly perfect condition, box and all. So I bought it, swapped my RAM, SSD/bracket, and the HDD all over to the 15". And moved the existing HDD and RAM from the 2010 to my 2008 and I'm preparing to sell it. I bought a 120GB SSD to put it in though before I sell it.

I'm hoping I can get around $500 out of it, it's in decent condition, and I just put a brand new NuPower/OWC battery in it in September, plus the SSD (About $180 alone). I also have the original box, cables, and disks/cloth/stickers as well, and a nice sleeve. Trying for friends first, then I may move on to craigslist or something If I can't find anyone. Hate to part with it now, but I really like the 15".

3. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I have been a PC guy forever. I always thought Apple products were for snobs with too much cash. Two years ago my job forced iPhone4s on us. I continued to use my droid for months while the iphone sat in a drawer. Management forced me to use it, and I quickly learned to like and then love it. I try an iPad, equally amazing for what I use it for.

I then reluctantly get a Macbook so that I can program iOS apps, as there is no means to compile in Windows. I get an old 2008 with 2GB ram. I am amazed how well it runs, being so old. Finding a Windows box older than 3 years old is often unusable. This Macbook08 was so robust. I ended up buying several 07-08s, upgrading them, and regifting them. So amazing.

My only guess as to why Macs work so well vs Windows is that they are so well tuned. Mac software only has to run on a very small amount of motherboards, processors, chipsets, etc. Windows has set itself up to be compatible with nearly everything.

Apple specializes on very specific hardware, and therefore is able to work really well with that hardware.

Whatever it is, I am an Apple fan for life. Performance and quality is worth the cost, especially when you buy used! :D

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Those Alu MacBooks kick butt. I have had mine since 2009 and use it everyday, never had a problem with it and still performs well. It is the first Mac for me so it holds some sentimental value as well. Recently upgraded to a 15 rMBP.

5. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

Good to see I'm not the only geek placing sentimental value on a computer!

6. nigelly macrumors regular

nigelly

I've often thought about swapping my late 08 Macbook for something newer but never had a good enough reason to. After reading this thread maybe I still won't have to for a few years. Maybe I should splurge for a SSD

7. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

You can install an SSD for under $200, max out your ram and go forever. I'm waiting till Christmas to put one in my 15" and it's killing me. The SSD experience is significant.

8. WildCard^ macrumors regular

My SSD from newegg is under $100, boots like lightning.

9. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

i just added a crucial ssd to my late 2008 macbook and the startup time is terrible. Takes almost 90 sec to boot up. Shut down is different only about 10 to 15 sec.

10. Alkaid, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

Alkaid macrumors member

Oh, I do know the feeling about these MacBooks.

I've been holding onto mine for ages and it's still in working condition but I'm definitely hoping it lasts awhile longer. Mine's a 2007 model but I'd love to see if I can find another in good condition or something I can easily upgrade.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes their Macbook like this!