Goodbye Parallels. Intel invests $218M in Vmware

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by WannaGoMac, Jul 12, 2007.

1. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

I would start switching to Vmware cause it will be the best software on the Mac. With the new investment they will also have a much better relationship with Intel and therefore the virtualization tricks than Parallels.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Either that or MS will stall development of the Mac version. :p

3. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

M$ would have a tough time keeping up with parallels.

Though if they don't make me pay for a new version every 3 months, I may switch to VMware :mad:

4. stadidas macrumors regular

Great news. I just switched to VMWare, and it's far better than Parallels in my opinion. Unity runs rings around coherence, and when I first minimised a window into the dock, I was sold! It also doesn't seem to slow the Mac down as much, and their customer support isn't out-sourced to a bunch of useless idiots.

5. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Am I correct in believing that Unity extends window behaviours such as Expose transformation where coherence mode does not?

Sounds like a big blow to Parallels, although I have heard that Apple has given them a hand, anyway.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

huh? maybe i'm missing something, but what does microsoft have to do with it?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, I was reading two threads at once and read it as MS pumping money into VMWare... but I still wouldn't put it past MS to find a way. :eek: ;) :D

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

whew! i thought i was having a blonde moment!

Intel is pretty buddy-buddy with Apple so this development should go a long way to helping VMWare along!

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

even though I spent 100 bones on the latter, but use only VMWare exclusivly now. I think VMWare is the only way to run Linux on a VM.

10. DerekS macrumors 6502

I switched to VMWare too. It's a lot faster and more robust than Parallels, and it doesn't have that awful "SmartSelect" feature that you can't (yet) disable.

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

12. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow! Good catch!
    Well, I guess maybe Parallels isn't in trouble! ;)

13. Dj-Grobe macrumors member

I think vmware its really better.......they in just few months make thinks to paralleles guys take a complete last year and more............

14. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

How so?

15. stadidas macrumors regular

Because all coherence does is make the Windows desktop transparent. When you use Exposé, the whole Windows desktop scales down as one window, whereas in Unity, each individual Windows window scales like a Mac OS window. Also, Unity adds drop shadows around each window, and allows them to be minimised to the dock.

16. iBunny macrumors 65816

The Latest and Greatest VM Ware Fusion w/ Unity is far better than parallels IMO.... Hopefully this extra Money can expand on that

17. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Ahhh, I didn't know that.

Gotcha. Good stuff. Thanks!

18. katorga macrumors regular

VMware is the best there is

I use VMware in an enterprise data center environment with 700 virtual servers running on 80-ish physical servers. It is an amazing product and totally rock solid. We can move RUNNING vm's from physical to physical hardware without them skipping a beat. VMware builds for the Five 9's crowd and that quality will carry over into the Mac product.

VMware easily beats parallels in my book (I own both). It runs with less resources, uses less CPU, has more configuration options, supports Linux better, and Unity is better.

Parallels runs DirectX games faster and seems to support more.

$39.95 pre-order for Fusion is a steal.

19. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

are you all using the VMware mac beta? I am on their site, and this is the only version that I see.

20. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes.