Goodbye push Gmail on iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by *nix, Jan 7, 2013.

1. *nix macrumors newbie

The perspective I'm coming from is if you go to Settings, then Mail, Contacts, Calenders, then Add Account, then Gmail (not the Gmail app or Microsoft Exchange).

If you set up Gmail through that route is there an option for push email?

Another question I have is; What is the difference between the Gmail app and setting up Gmail using the route above?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Adding an account as GMail in Mail does not have push. Setting it up as Exchange does have push but this option is being removed from all free gmail accounts (including free google apps accounts) from the end of this month: Existing devices will continue to work with it but no new devices / accounts will be able to be setup using the exchange option

3. *nix thread starter macrumors newbie

Will setting up an Outlook.com/Hotmail/Windows Live email account still have push email via Microsoft Exchange?

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yes it does.

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

So Google are pushing us (Pun not intended) towards using their app if we want to continue to receive push notifications (or use IMAP and sync at intervals).

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I suppose you could say that but to be honest I prefer the Gmail app by a large margin for all my Gmail and Google Apps mail. It really is a very good app and in my opinion better at handling a Gmail account.

7. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Which exists solely to drive revenue to Google (obviously, and as it should be). The problem is the tactics Google is using ... they hobble capabilities in some places, remove others, and gimp Windows Phone and try to blame the web browser - clearly emboldened by the 'slap on the wrist' win they got from the gov't

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Where the mail is delivered. It's up to you to determine if you prefer the stock Mail app or the gmail app.

ActiveSync is push, so yes.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Actually they reversed their stance on Windows phone. As for the other stuff, do you know how many millions of free Gmail accounts they support? The infrastructure to do that is huge and not cheap. So now they want to get paid for it, nothing wrong with that.

10. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

It's not some conspiracy theory.

Each and every email address with exchange costs them additional money in licensing fees to MS.

11. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I didn't say it was, I can totally understand where they are coming from. No different to Apple being charged for access to Google Maps every time a user used it before they developed their own maps.

12. fjd726 macrumors regular

The new gmail app fails when you decide to zoom in on any text or image within the mail. I have an iPhone 4 and it shows an immediate lag when zooming in. This does not happen with exchange at all. Anyone else experiencing same?

13. avanpelt macrumors 68020

The only reason I have an Exchange setup for Gmail is so I can tap e-mail addresses on my iPhone and have the phone actually bring up a compose window as opposed to the "Welcome to Mail" screen. I use the Gmail app 99.99% of the time and I'm extremely happy with that app.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but. . .

Apple needs to allow us to change the default programs used for e-mail composition, navigation, web browsing, etc. in iOS 7 or it's simply not as forward thinking as it needs to be. I will continue to buy iPhone hardware as long as they make what I consider to be the best phone hardware. However, Apple needs to grow up, loosen their grip on my device after I purchase it, and if I want to use Google Maps, Google Chrome, and Gmail as defaults on my iPhone, I should be able to do so without any interference from Apple.