Goodbye, skeumorphism.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by moonman239, Jun 10, 2013.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

You will be missed by some.

----------

Others will say, "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68020

The notes icon still has skeumorphism. The moving wallpaper and see through menus as well. It is still there.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Same here

Perhaps because my iPhone is only 9 month old (to me), so far, am sticking to 6. Luv the reflecting dock and all those textures. Have not yet tired of them. The 7's flatness don't appeal to me. Will have to upgrade of course when a must-feature becomes available but until then... :(

4. joneun macrumors member

Jailbreak.

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Craig Federighi had some funny cracks about skeumorphism

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Meh. I'm not saying this because I'm bitter about the loss of skeumorphism. I think I like the new look. But several things occur to me.

First, I'm glad they were misleading us with the "black and white" and flat look. B&W icons would've been horrid. It would've looked like a return to Mac OS7.

Second, while I cannot state an actual reason for it, I have a feeling that the flat look won't "wear" that well over the long haul. In other words, I think we'll get tired of it a lot faster than we got tired of the 3-D, glossy, skeumorphic look. I wouldn't be surprised it only two years from now we're complaining that these icons look old and boring.

Third, I have to roll my eyes at the snarky comments some of the Apple folks have recently made about the skeumorphic icons, such as Notes' yellow legal pad look. What does the iOS7 replacement icon look like, but a really cartoony version of the same thing? That's one icon which I don't think improves on its iOS6 equivalent in any way.