goodbye to 3.5 inch floppy disks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac'nCheese, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I just read this on consumerreports.org. Before seeing this, if someone asked if they could still buy new 3.5 disks, I would have laughed. I can't believe they were still making these!!!

"Sony bids “sayonara” to 3.5-inch floppy disks
    Vinyl record albums, VHS videotapes, audio tape cassettes: All these dead icons of consumer media will soon be joined by another once-prominent format—the 3.5-inch computer "floppy" diskette.

Late last Friday, Sony announced that it will close down its diskette production plant in Japan and discontinue world-wide sales of the hard-shelled removable disks by next March.

Most techies, such as I, would say, "It’s about time,” or even ask, "What took so long?" After all, while the disk's 1.44-MB capacity might have seemed gigantic back in the '80s, it's pretty paltry for today's computer storage needs.

It would take over 100 3.5-inch floppies to back-up even a modest 10-GB computer hard drive. So, as a computer back-up solution, a diskette is pretty much useless.

The beginning of the end for the diskette arrived quite awhile ago, back around 1998, when Apple abandoned it altogether in the design of their early iMacs, a move seen as controversial at the time.

Soon, the rise of inexpensive blank optical media (CD and DVD disks, which hold up to 800-MB and 4.7-GB, respectively) led the way for all computer makers to abandon the disktette drive format.

It's no surprise then, that Sony's official reason for ending floppy diskette production would be "decreased demand" for the humble little device. Oddly enough, however, Sony also said the company sold over 12 million disks in Japan alone last year! (For what purpose? Drink coasters?)

What about you? When was the last time you ever used a floppy diskette? Do you still have boxes and boxes of 3.5-inch disks—probably loaded with old DOS programs or WordPerfect files—in your basement "