Goodbye to MR Until July

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kashchei, May 14, 2007.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'm off to do summer research and I won't have internet access. This is going to drive me crazy, especially with WWDC coming in less than a month, but it can't be helped. At least the scenery makes up for it: I'm going to Basel, Switzerland.

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Switzerland is beautiful.

You'll be able to find internet access easily, it's quite cheap over there.

4. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Quoted for truth,

I expect to see a post within a few weeks :p

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Some great restaurants and "brewhaus" in Basel (pronounced Ball to the locals). Stay away from the Mexican themed restaurants. Last time I was there I paid $120 for a pitcher of margaritas. Luckily I was on expenses.

There is a nice brewpub just north of the river (name escapes me).

Don't forget to buy a ticket before you get on a tram. Mate of mine spent the night in the pokey because he forgot to get a ticket. :eek:

6. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'm currently cooling my heels in Schipol Airport (Amsterdam) where 30 minutes of internet access costs 6 Euros. I missed my connecting flight to Zürich and so I have around three hours to kill before the next one leaves. I thought I'd check my email and, of course, check in on MR while I had the chance. Thanks for all the wonderful advice! If you can think of the name of the restaurants or brewhouses, let me know and I'll be there!

I'm a music professor and I'm in Basel since this is where the Paul Sacher Stiftung is located (Paul Sacher was, until his recent death, one of the most wealthy men on Earth and a music connoisseur). Paul Sacher bought all the Stravinsky documents and I am a Stravinsky scholar, so this is where I had to come to work on a particular project.

Thanks again for all the help and I'll check in when I get the chance (hopefully often).

7. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Dear Friends,

Thanks for all the help and advice that helped me greatly while I was in Basel. Since I've been out of touch with all things Mac for the last six weeks, I have two questions. First, I subscribed to the MacWorld Keynote Podcast back in January but the WWDC keynote hasn't downloaded yet. Can anyone explain this to me--is there a second WWDC podcast to which I must subscribe--or point me to a separate website? Second, I've attached a photo I took at the local Apple reseller store in Basel (they don't have a dedicated Apple store yet). There were three of these monitors in the display window that contained information about the items on display. The interesting thing was that these monitors look very much like a miniature version of the current iMac monitors. Has anyone else seen anything like this before? I've been to the three Apple stores in Atlanta and a handful of others around the country and hadn't seen anything like them before.

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice and I hope your last six weeks were as pleasant as mine were.

Attached Files:

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry, I really really can't tell from your photo. Is that an old Apple display, or maybe a Formac monitor? Long ago (ok....only 5 years ago, but I'm young), Formac was the bomb, and people recommended their monitors over Apple (sometimes) due to their price and performance. Nowadays, people tend to recommend the Dell 20" and 30" because they do have the LG-Philips S-IPS LCD panels, but 5 years ago, the name "Formac" meant something around here. I have no idea how they have done so poorly for themselves. It seemed like such a quick death.

Anyway, could it be a Formac monitor, possibly an older one? :confused: