Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think 100-150 posts would achieve what they were trying to achieve, without being a pain to us noobs :) I've only been posting on here for a couple weeks (less than 1 mo) and I am almost to 150. Waiting till 250 seems like forever just to gain entrance to the sweet sweet deals :(
LOL!

Once you finally have access you'll probably wonder why you wanted it so much.

I usually only go in there when there's someone in this forum linking to it. Most of the stuff is Intel Mac based and I'm not in the market for that stuff usually. When I am, I can usually find it cheaper on eBay.

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
I was being a bit funny, but I didn't actually realize it was a site wide marketplace, thought it was just PPC. Still cool to have another marketplace to sift thru. LEMSwap Group is also a good one.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was being a bit funny, but I didn't actually realize it was a site wide marketplace, thought it was just PPC. Still cool to have another marketplace to sift thru. LEMSwap Group is also a good one.
Yeah, it's pretty much whatever you want to sell. PowerPC is rare to see in there.

Firefox 2.png Firefox.png

Reactions: 1042686

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Sounds like /r/hardwareswap and /r/appleswap are preferable actually. Still, nice to have another place to look. As an additional reddit plug, I also frequently let go of my PowerPC items on /r/vintageapple. /r/PowerPC exists but barely, and not nearly as popular.

Reactions: eyoungren

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I've enjoyed using and working to improve & secure the PPC's. But as we enter 2017 it's time for me to exit the world of PPC ownership.

I'm with you here. I've been a PPC fan and have largely appreciated the quality of PPC hardware (The MDD PMG4's were the exception) and the cost-effectiveness...
Waybackwhen PPC was current hardware I could not afford it.
After Intel had entered stage-center, I got into PPC stuff (PMG4's; PMG5's, G4 Powerbooks). For me (as a student and on a budget) back then, it was an ideal solution. Also for the folks (whose net use characteristics were not on the bleeding edge) PPC seemed like a sweet-spot. At the same time, I was able to feel good about giving old hardware an extended lifespan...

Lately, I've started noticing that my two hobby-machines (a G3 iBook and a last generation 12" Powerbook) seldom get used, and when they get used, a part of me marvels at the quality of the hardware, while another part curses the real-life (YMMV) uselessness of the gear.

During these ≈10 years many things have changed
- Software support is vanishing (e.g. no more Dropbox)
- The net has changed
- compatibility has become an issue
- modern computing and PPC resourced do not match.

I do not think I'll ever buy another PPC Mac, which kinda makes me sad, because I had always thought that one day I'd splurge on a quad...

Reactions: huperniketes

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm with you here. I've been a PPC fan and have largely appreciated the quality of PPC hardware (The MDD PMG4's were the exception) and the cost-effectiveness...
After Intel had entered stage-center, I got into PPC stuff (PMG4's; PMG5's, G4 Powerbooks). For me (as a student and on a budget) back then, it was an ideal solution. Also for the folks (whose net use characteristics were not on the bleeding edge) PPC seemed like a sweet-spot. At the same time, I was able to feel good about giving old hardware an extended lifespan...

Lately, I've started noticing that my two hobby-machines (a G3 iBook and a last generation 12" Powerbook) seldom get used, and when they get used, a part of me marvels at the quality of the hardware, while another part curses the real-life (YMMV) uselessness of the gear.

- The net has changed

I do not think I'll ever buy another PPC Mac, which kinda makes me sad, because I had always thought that one day I'd splurge on a quad...
My use is not your use.

That said I have some disagreements with you.

1. None of my Macs are useless. The ONE Mac that I have to make sure I use regularly is the Intel MBP I own. Just to make sure it gets used. My wife needed to annotate a map the other night and I didn't want to spend an hour or so with Windows Paint moving pixels around on an ASUS laptop I've come to hate.

Photoshop CS4 made it a three minute job on a Dual Core 2.3 G5. Entourage 2008 sent her file back to her. Also, just got done a few weeks ago scanning in a book for a customer that teaches firefighter courses. InDesign CS4.

2. No more Dropbox? Where have you been?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/reconnect-unsupported-leopard-macs-to-dropbox.1865621/

3. Yes the net has changed. But this helps…
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-tenfourfox-about-config-tweaks-and-my-addons.1838393/

4. Compatibility with what? My need to be compatible with 2016-2017 apps is probably less than yours perhaps, but older versions of some apps still work.

5. I totally disagree with you that PowerPC resources do not match today's modern computing. I could haul my DC 2.3 G5 in here tomorrow, put out our Classifieds, Legals, ads and the newspaper without missing a beat. We still use InDesign CS4 here at work so that the G5 that IS here can maintain compatibility.

The PDFs I send our printer are no different than PDFs sent by someone using ID CS 2 million or whatever it's called now.

Again, my usage is not yours. But perhaps some of this is down to just how hard one is willing to work to make it work. Although I do not deny there are things that cannot be done I do not believe at all that there is NOTHING that can be done anymore using a PowerPC Mac.

Last edited:

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta

- The net has changed

Don't worry, I have owned a quad for over a year and it just sits around :(

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
My use is not your use.

I think I did say it was my personal take, based on my personal situation (YMMV)

I do want to comment on some of these though (I'm abbreviating you post)...

That said I have some disagreements with you.

1. None of my Macs are useless. <SNIP>

2. No more Dropbox? Where have you been?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/reconnect-unsupported-leopard-macs-to-dropbox.1865621/

3. Yes the net has changed. But this helps…
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-tenfourfox-about-config-tweaks-and-my-addons.1838393/

4. Compatibility with what? My need to be compatible with 2016-2017 apps is probably less than yours perhaps, but older versions of some apps still work.

5. I totally disagree with you that PowerPC resources do not match today's modern computing. I could haul my DC 2.3 G5 in here tomorrow, put out our Classifieds, Legals, ads and the newspaper without missing a beat. We still use InDesign CS4 here at work so that the G5 that IS here can maintain compatibility.

The PDFs I send our printer are no different than PDFs sent by someone using ID CS 2 million or whatever it's called now.

Again, my usage is not yours. But perhaps some of this is down to just how hard one is willing to work to make it work. Although I do not deny there are things that cannot be done I do not believe at all that there is NOTHING that can be done anymore using a PowerPC Mac.

1) I must admit my uses are both stationary and mobile at the moment. I have a 5,1 Mac Pro to take care of the stationary stuff, a 2015 MBPr (15") as my mobile workstation and a 2014 MBA as my traveling companion. The last being basically my replacement for my venerable 12" PBG4. The problem, as I see it, is that while many of the mobile tasks could technically be handled by the powerbook, even though not all, the one thing the Powerbook does not and can never have, is the Battery life of the MBA.

2) That's a good one, but sadly (in my cases, i.e. travel and folks) quite useless, as that de-facto necessitates constant access to a newer mac (The one doing the syncing and sharing).

3) Here, I guess, our uses are too different to allow comparison.

4) Compatability with newer machines' results. Apple has been at the forefront of rapid obsolescence. My main problem whenever I've been using my Powerbook, even my machines still running 10.6 is that I'm starting to have trouble with compatibility with stuff created on newer mac's

5) and final paragraphs. I think the main difference between you and me is in that "how hard one is willing to work to make it work". I do stuff (for instance yesterday I was doing a lot of OCR stuff) which does tax computers. I waited until I was at home, to use the effortless Oomph my MP affords. The actual duration difference between even my MBA and MBPr is on the order of 150%. On a G5 (not to speak of a G4), those tasks would still not be finished. I use computers to be able to do stuff - to get things done, and not in order to either wait or to be able to tinker and invent workarounds. As long as I am the bottleneck in my man-machine combination, I'm happy. In that I'm an adherent of the "It just works" -school.

That does not mean I do not respect you, or the effort you expend in order to tweak and invent workarounds, but it does mean that that does not work for me.

RGDS,

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think I did say it was my personal take, based on my personal situation (YMMV)

I do want to comment on some of these though (I'm abbreviating you post)...

1) I must admit my uses are both stationary and mobile at the moment. I have a 5,1 Mac Pro to take care of the stationary stuff, a 2015 MBPr (15") as my mobile workstation and a 2014 MBA as my traveling companion. The last being basically my replacement for my venerable 12" PBG4. The problem, as I see it, is that while many of the mobile tasks could technically be handled by the powerbook, even though not all, the one thing the Powerbook does not and can never have, is the Battery life of the MBA.

2) That's a good one, but sadly (in my cases, i.e. travel and folks) quite useless, as that de-facto necessitates constant access to a newer mac (The one doing the syncing and sharing).

3) Here, I guess, our uses are too different to allow comparison.

4) Compatability with newer machines' results. Apple has been at the forefront of rapid obsolescence. My main problem whenever I've been using my Powerbook, even my machines still running 10.6 is that I'm starting to have trouble with compatibility with stuff created on newer mac's

5) and final paragraphs. I think the main difference between you and me is in that "how hard one is willing to work to make it work". I do stuff (for instance yesterday I was doing a lot of OCR stuff) which does tax computers. I waited until I was at home, to use the effortless Oomph my MP affords. The actual duration difference between even my MBA and MBPr is on the order of 150%. On a G5 (not to speak of a G4), those tasks would still not be finished. I use computers to be able to do stuff - to get things done, and not in order to either wait or to be able to tinker and invent workarounds. As long as I am the bottleneck in my man-machine combination, I'm happy. In that I'm an adherent of the "It just works" -school.

That does not mean I do not respect you, or the effort you expend in order to tweak and invent workarounds, but it does mean that that does not work for me.

RGDS,
2) Dropbox. The app that Czo provides simply fools Dropbox into believing that it is the latest version. I note in post #1 that all the content about using an Intel Mac to maintain the connection is no longer relevant. A link to Czo's app is right at the top of post #1.

Dropbox on a PowerPC is no different than Dropbox on Intel as long as you're using Czo's app. I cart my PowerBook from home to work or coffee shop and the Dropbox app updates my Dropbox any time I have a WiFi connection. Just like it would on Intel.

How is that useless if it functions exactly that same as Dropbox on Intel?

1) Since my PowerBook goes in a bag the power supply comes along with it. None of my batteries would last five minutes. But I plug in everywhere I go so I've never bothered to replace them.

So, again we differ. You need battery life, I don't.

4) I haven't run into any compatibility issues yet. But again, my usage probably differs.

5) Again, what you do and what I do seem to differ. If I had a need to be making large amounts of scans I'd probably be right there with you. But even at work this is not what I am doing. But the fact that you want it to just work is another difference.

I want it to work too. But I'm willing to force PowerPC Macs to my will so that it does 'just work' I don't like being beaten by a machine. It irritates me so I will expend time and effort to make the machine do what I have demanded of it.

That's just me.

I respect you as well. Nothing I am saying is to imply that you're wrong. Whatever works for you is what you should be doing, as should all of us.

The point to my post was simply to let you know I disagreed with some of your statements. Reasonable people (and I believe we are) can have disagreements and still walk away respecting the other person. That's where I believe we are.

vinylretina

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2015
But I'm willing to force PowerPC Macs to my will so that it does 'just work' I don't like being beaten by a machine. It irritates me so I will expend time and effort to make the machine do what I have demanded of it.

I think that is part of the joy of the long-term PPC experience. To me, it's fun trying to hash out new ways to use them in the modern throw-away technology culture. It almost feels defiant; like we're sticking it to the industry for letting things become the way that they are.

I also enjoy them because I think it was a Golden Age for Apple where the Mac truly existed in its own perfect universe. The way the hardware used to look and function, the way that Tiger and Leopard operated....they will always be my favorite computers. I love my two Intel machines and my iPad and all of that, but nothing will ever compare. There is a magic in these machines.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think that is part of the joy of the long-term PPC experience. To me, it's fun trying to hash out new ways to use them in the modern throw-away technology culture. It almost feels defiant; like we're sticking it to the industry for letting things become the way that they are.

I also enjoy them because I think it was a Golden Age for Apple where the Mac truly existed in its own perfect universe. The way the hardware used to look and function, the way that Tiger and Leopard operated....they will always be my favorite computers. I love my two Intel machines and my iPad and all of that, but nothing will ever compare. There is a magic in these machines.
Right!

We have a printer at home that has a minimum requirement of Snow Leopard. There are only TWO computers that can print to it natively. My wife's PC and my MBP.

But.

When it comes to printers it's usually just down to print drivers. Print drivers are nothing more than small text files that tell the system what the printer can do and what it is.

Once I finished installing the software on my MBP, I copied all the print drivers over to my Leopard Macs. I then created an IP address printer using the IP address and the print driver. So…this Snow Leopard only printer flawlessly takes jobs from my son's Powerbook G4, my PowerBook G4 and my PowerMac G5. The bonus is that the admin interface for the printer is web based. :D

Lastly, because I moved over the print drivers I can ALSO see the print levels and usage details on my Leopard Macs.

And now…printing from a Leopard Mac to a Snow Leopard ONLY printer - just works!

Reactions: bobesch

vinylretina

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2015
Right!

We have a printer at home that has a minimum requirement of Snow Leopard. There are only TWO computers that can print to it natively. My wife's PC and my MBP.

But.

When it comes to printers it's usually just down to print drivers. Print drivers are nothing more than small text files that tell the system what the printer can do and what it is.

Once I finished installing the software on my MBP, I copied all the print drivers over to my Leopard Macs. I then created an IP address printer using the IP address and the print driver. So…this Snow Leopard only printer flawlessly takes jobs from my son's Powerbook G4, my PowerBook G4 and my PowerMac G5. The bonus is that the admin interface for the printer is web based. :D

Lastly, because I moved over the print drivers I can ALSO see the print levels and usage details on my Leopard Macs.

And now…printing from a Leopard Mac to a Snow Leopard ONLY printer - just works!

Haha, most excellent!

I admit that I do cheat a bit on occasion and use my Core Duo iMac (circa 2006) as sort of a middle-man between my PPCs and my rMBP/iPad. Love that Rosetta on Snow Leopard. :p

I do try and use PPC compatibility issues as educational opportunities, though. I work at an AASP and it has been fun trying to figure out different things I can do to complete my workflow on my iBook G4. One of the few things I cannot access on it is AST 2 through GSX...just not quite enough browser compatibility for that I suppose. But it's always a laugh to see the faces of students and faculty when I'm troubleshooting and diagnosing their shiny new MBA or MBP with my 12 year old iBook. :D Always a fun talking point. Especially when my rMBP is sitting back on my desk doing nothing but displaying an eBook.

Reactions: eyoungren

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Wow, I didn't know people were still trying to use PPC Macs to do "modern" things. I have several PPC Macs, but I only use it to see what it can do online, and they are largely relegated to music playback (spotify or itunes).

huperniketes

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
(0, 0, 0)
I think 100-150 posts would achieve what they were trying to achieve, without being a pain to us noobs :) I've only been posting on here for a couple weeks (less than 1 mo) and I am almost to 150. Waiting till 250 seems like forever just to gain entrance to the sweet sweet deals :(

I've been a registered member since 2007, and am now at 30 posts. Wish me well! :D

Stephen Valente

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
I've been collecting Power PC models of late, G3's, G4's and a G5 which started the whole thing off. Have yet to find the time to turn one on, but once I get my home office finished, it will be very much a mixture of displaying some for their aesthetic value and having a tinker with some. I've got all three iMac screen sizes, and will use one to generally display useful information, organise music collection, etc.

I think every old computer has their use relative to their owner, but some things just require a modern machine for convenience and reliability. My 2015 MBP is for home working, and it's quiet as a mouse with the SSD drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.