Goodbye to the 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shotta287, Nov 20, 2014.

1. shotta287 macrumors member

So after almost 3 years I bid farewell to my 4S. Been a great phone, probably the best i'll own. Build quality and feel-in-hand wise I think it was unmatched. But I've got to move on with the times so bought a 5S in gold yesterday. The 6 I feel, is a very nice device but a bit too big for my liking.

The question I've got is, would it be better to set up my 5s as a new device, i.e. no restore? I'd like to transfer all my stuff over from my 4s which is running iOS 7.1.2.

Any other tips would be welcome!

2. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I'm too lazy to set up from new. I use encrypted restore via iTunes, and don't have problems that others report. That being said, it is always best to set up as new.I have iPhones and iPads, and they're all set up almost identically.

3. shotta287 thread starter macrumors member

Same, it'll take me an age to get the settings, apps etc how they were on my 4s.

My other question is, do I have to update my 4s to ios8 then save a back up to restore to my 5s? Or can I leave it on ios7?

4. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I'm not sure. Just plug in and your computer will advise what is needed though...

5. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I just went through the same upgrade, putting away (or actually recycling) my trusty 4s in favor of a 5s. Excellent upgrade!

I would update the 4s first to 8.1.1. Your original 7.1.2 will be backed up. Once it's updated do another backup (ideally to iCloud). Then activate your new 5s, and chose Restore the latest backup from iCloud. (Restoring from iCloud gives you fresh copies of both iOS and your apps.)

You'll love the 5s. Just a little larger, but sightly thinner, and faster in everything it does. Plus LTE also adds speed, and works for me in places that 3G didn't.

I agree that the 6 is too big. And who knows who long Apple will keep new 5s's around.

6. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

You can restore the iOS 7 backup on iOS 8. If you plan to sell the iPhone 4S you might want to leave it on iOS 7 as some people prefer the older OS and you might get a little more for it. The buyer can always update to iOS 8 if they want, but they can't go back to 7.

7. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Good point. I agree.

8. shotta287 thread starter macrumors member

Yep 4G is a major factor for my upgrade decision, its picking up a lot here in the UK (finally!).

The 5s is a beautiful design too, perhaps a tad too light but I'll get used to it.

----------

That's exactly what I wanted to read! I'll keep the 4s on ios7 and then sell it off emphasising that its still on ios7 haha.

9. comper macrumors regular

Other tip: Take the 5S back and just get the 6. It'll only take a few days to get used to the size. And the way phones are trending, you'll have to make the jump to a bigger phone sooner than later.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

He doesn't *have* to do anything.

The 5S will last him 3 years like the 4S did. Noone knows what the next 3 years will bring, or where the fad with devices go

They may trend back down, or in totally different directions. No reason for him to do anything he doesn't want, merely for the sake of keeping up with the jonses on the latest fat-phone popular fad which he doesn't even like.

With luck, there will be a reworked 5C, a 6C or 5CS with A7/A8, touchID, and NFC as early as next year.

11. legioxi macrumors 6502a

You can backup and restore Apps via iTunes as well. No need to send all your data to a third party server (iCloud) for this. It's likely to be faster using iTunes as well as more private.

12. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Grats. I recently bought the 5s for the same reason (the 6 is a bit big for my liking). Coming from Android rather than a 4s, I'm very happy with it so far.

13. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Exactly.

It amazes me how some people feel others MUST do/buy what they like. People are allowed to like different products. :)

14. shotta287 thread starter macrumors member

Just an update on how im finding the 5s; great phone, much more fluid and quicker than my 4s.

Only thing I don't like is how the home button makes a loud click whenever i press it, it feels cheap and not well made, do others have this issue?

15. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

What is encrypted restore?

16. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

It's not going to feel like the home button on the 4S or 5 for that matter, but if it's clicking and feels cheap it might be defective. It should feel firm. I've experienced loose home buttons on the 5S and 6; only on the space gray though, don't know why that is.

17. shotta287 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, i'll give it a week or two of use and see how it is, it feels less well made than the 4s home button

18. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah 4G LTE is great. I went from a regular 4 to briefly a 5c to now a 6 (lol I know crazy, long story but I got the 6 basically free). I feel like 4G LTE plus the speedier aspect of the phones inner workings with Apps made me use it more for lots of things. As for the home button, coming from a regular home button on my 4 and 5c my 6's home button does feel "clickier" and like there is slightly less "depth" when I press it...after playing with a 5s I noticed the same thing...Its probably because of the fingerprint sensor taking up space behind the button maybe? I'm not sure but something I noticed. Just curious, what provider are you on in the UK? I know EE always had the head start with 4G but I don't hear as many good things about Vodafone, Three, and O2's 4G...

Also don't let anyone tell you that you NEED the iPhone 6, its a great phone but for me the screen size was not necessarily the reason I chose over the 5s, I actually prefer the 5s design in many ways but something about the 6 struck me as just right for me. But yes whenever I pick up a 5s it catches me off guard as to how light it is compared to my 4! Its like air! But yeah for the love of God keep the 4S on iOS 7....

19. shotta287 thread starter macrumors member

I am on giffgaff, which uses O2's network, I've yet to test the 4G, will do very soon. There are however no unlimited data plans available or actually the ones that are, are very expensive at the moment.

And yes, my 4S will remain on iOS 7, but the experience was best with iOS 6 on there!

20. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

When you back up your iPhone or any iOS device, you use a password to encrypt the backup, thus saving the phone with your passwords in tact. It takes your password to restore to the iPhone and when you finish with that restore, all of your passwords are saved and you don't have to login from new to any of your sites. Is simply more convenient.

21. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I don't have a loud click, but the 5s definitely has a crisper button than the 4s. It took a little getting used to, but when you do the button on the 4s will feel mushy.

22. comper macrumors regular

I didn't say he "has" to do anything right now. I recommended they get a 6 and get used to it over a few days. If they really hate the size, then I guess stick with a 5S. You'd be silly to think that phones are going to shrink in size over the next few years. They've only gotten bigger since the smartphone era began, and even all the iPhone users who used to make fun of Android phones for being large now call their old 4S/5S a "toy". Yes, that's definitely subjective, but also an indicator of the size of smartphones in the current market.

I also said nothing about him "keeping up with the joneses" so I'm not sure where that came from.

23. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I loved my 4S. I had it from November 2011 until September 2014 when I got my 6.

I wanted a larger screen and 3G was painfully slow at times, but I miss the build of the 4S. It felt solid and durable. The iPhone 6 feels very fragile to me.