Goodbye Verizon :(

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jetlagged, Apr 9, 2016.

1. jetlagged, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

jetlagged macrumors 6502

It's over, cancelled my wireless plan with Verizon after 6 years because I'm currently traveling longterm overseas for the next 18 months (I am 6 months into my travels). Local sim cards are much cheaper compared to paying a monthly service with verizon in addition to paying extra for global service. Also because they would only let me suspend the service for 3 months in a calendar year without billing. Weighed the cost, and it wasn't worth it in my opinion. Right now I'm paying on average $20-25 a month for a local sim card in various countries I've visited which includes talk, a generous amount of data plan, texts, and international calls back to the USA are cheap at 25 cents to 40 cents a minute, which i don't use often except as needed. I was paying on average $80 a month for 450 minutes of talk, no texts, and unlimited data with verizon.

So long grandfathered unlimited data plan (not a big deal anymore for me since they increased the price from $30 to $50 anyways). So long wireless phone number. I'm wondering if I made the right choice. A part of me feels sad that I lost that number. I wonder if I can get it back when I return to the USA and subscribe with verizon again. (anybody knows?)

Oh well, it's not like anybody was calling me on my verizon wireless number anyways during the last 6 months of travel. I look forward to the day when I shop for a wireless carrier with a good plan in the future when I return. Probably sticking with verizon again since I never had a problem with their customer service. Hell even cancelling my service was so easy, they didn't give me a hard time.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You should have ported the number to Google Voice (I think it can be done). That would have saved your number.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Or a prepaid service and just keep enough credit on there to keep the number.